Breaded Pork Loin Cutlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bread crumb combo sounds good Chief, but if you're looking to replicate KFC you'll need five times the amount of salt you have listed.:wacko:

Thanks for the sharing! :yum:

Oh how true! That's why the rest of the chicken minus the skin ended up as chicken salad.

Thank Chief.

I like the recipe and would only do one thing different.
I would fry the cutlets nice and crispy instead of baking them.

I like the recipe and would only do one thing different.
I would fry the cutlets nice and crispy instead of baking them.

I like both cooking methods. Sometimes I bake them, sometimes I fry them. I've even been known to throw them into a CI pan and put the on the Webber, over charcoal of course, and with the lid firmly in place. That's mighty tasty as well.

You can even sauce them if you like.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief. Do you get a crispy crust baking them? I have never been able to get that fried crispy coating in the oven.

it is possible to do a crispy crust in the oven.

my favorite is oven-chicken-fried-steak....but, not known to disown a thick pork chop, either. or chicken steaks, or . . . (add long list here)

bring the meat to room temp
pat the meat dry immediately before the 'wash' - I use a egg wash diluted a smidge with water to ensure it is smoothly homogenous

apply breading - now....
panko works pretty good, frankly I've had better luck with 'homemade' bread crumb from stale Italian/French style loaves. it _must_ be dry and stale; chop to size.
(typically I freeze the left-over chunks; then chop & oven toast.)

store bought flour-size bread crumbs do not work; they go gummy.

into the egg wash, drip off any excess. excess moisture is not your friend.

into the breading mix
onto a metal rack and allow to 'air dry' for 20-30 minutes. yes, it's important.

the rack then goes on a shallow baking pan and into the oven.
they can be done at low temps, but if done at low temp, plan on a finish at higher temp (400-500'F) to dry&crisp the crust.

touch not thy chop/steak on the rack until the crust is set.

not tried the parchment routine - just the 'on a (cake cooling) rack'

it is possible to do a crispy crust in the oven.

my favorite is oven-chicken-fried-steak....but, not known to disown a thick pork chop, either. or chicken steaks, or . . . (add long list here)

bring the meat to room temp
pat the meat dry immediately before the 'wash' - I use a egg wash diluted a smidge with water to ensure it is smoothly homogenous

apply breading - now....
panko works pretty good, frankly I've had better luck with 'homemade' bread crumb from stale Italian/French style loaves. it _must_ be dry and stale; chop to size.
(typically I freeze the left-over chunks; then chop & oven toast.)

store bought flour-size bread crumbs do not work; they go gummy.

into the egg wash, drip off any excess. excess moisture is not your friend.

into the breading mix
onto a metal rack and allow to 'air dry' for 20-30 minutes. yes, it's important.

the rack then goes on a shallow baking pan and into the oven.
they can be done at low temps, but if done at low temp, plan on a finish at higher temp (400-500'F) to dry&crisp the crust.

touch not thy chop/steak on the rack until the crust is set.

not tried the parchment routine - just the 'on a (cake cooling) rack'

I assumed allowing the meat to sit with breading on it would allow it to get soggy?

This is a common instruction with breaded items. It serves to make the breading stick better. the crispness comes later when it's cooked.

I see. I do have issues with breading coming loose from the item sometimes.
I always use the flour then egg wash then bread crumb method, but always put them directly into the hot pan.

I guess the paramount point is to make sure the meat is room temp and is very dry before the breading method?

I see. I do have issues with breading coming loose from the item sometimes.
I always use the flour then egg wash then bread crumb method, but always put them directly into the hot pan.

I guess the paramount point is to make sure the meat is room temp and is very dry before the breading method?

I'm not sure room temp is important.

>>allowing the meat to sit with breading on it would allow it to get soggy?
the question to ask is: where would the moisture/soggy come from?
the meat is dry, the breading is dry, the rack/parchment is dry, the only 'wet' thing around is the egg wash. btw, you can go purist and use just egg whites - do try it sometime.

bringing the meat to room temp does several things.
in high humidity, moisture does not condense on the cold meat.
as meat warms it exudes water; this is more pronounced if it has been frozen
breading burns; cold meat means higher temps and longer times to cook. see: burnt breading....

allowing the air drying period 'reduces' free moisture from the egg wash running around the meat. not so much that it evaporates, but more that it is absorbed into the breading and then cooks/bakes out leaving the breading crisp.

several of our/my favorite dishes take a 'double dip' - white Japanese eggplant slices done with a mix of corn meal and lightly pulverized panko, for example. egg wash, bread; dry; egg wash, bread; dry; pan fry....

Last edited:
Allowing it to rest/air dry is so that the moisture will come to the surface where it will be cooked off. If the meat has moisture in it then steam is created that push's the coating off.

I've kept them in the fridge to rest then put them to the fire and had no problems.

I believe moisture is the issue rather then temperature.

That's how it was explained to me and it seems to work.

I fry up liver after triple breading with just seasoned flour, it's moist enough it doesn't need an egg wash.

The air drying helps to keep your oil clean, less burnt flour, crumbs etc...

I sometimes "wet" the meat with melted butter or oil if it is going into the oven and then coat it. I think the fat under the coating helps to crisp things up when oven frying.

A little sugar in the breading helps to give the coating additional color without changing the taste.

When oven frying go with a hot oven 425 to 450 F and a shorter cooking time.

I am still having a hard time grasping the idea that allowing breaded anything to sit would not get soggy. Meat does weep.

But I can assure you that i will indeed try this method the very next time I bread something. I have some pork chops that would make very good candidates.

So, its dry the meat very well. Flour -egg wash -bread crumbs, then allow to sit on a rack for how long? In fridge or counter air dry?

I am still having a hard time grasping the idea that allowing breaded anything to sit would not get soggy. Meat does weep.

But I can assure you that i will indeed try this method the very next time I bread something. I have some pork chops that would make very good candidates.

So, its dry the meat very well. Flour -egg wash -bread crumbs, then allow to sit on a rack for how long? In fridge or counter air dry?
Yes. How long? More than 5 minutes, 'cause sometimes some of the breading falls off when I make schnitzel.

RB, it will get soggy, but the flour, egg, and crumbs will set up and bind together. The high heat of the oil or oven will quickly evaporate the moisture - think of all the steam bubbles coming out of a piece of frying chicken - and dry out and crisp the crust.

15 minutes in the fridge works well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom