"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The bread crumb combo sounds good Chief, but if you're looking to replicate KFC you'll need five times the amount of salt you have listed.

Thanks for the sharing!
Oh how true! That's why the rest of the chicken minus the skin ended up as chicken salad.

Thank Chief.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I like the recipe and would only do one thing different.
I would fry the cutlets nice and crispy instead of baking them.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I like the recipe and would only do one thing different.
I would fry the cutlets nice and crispy instead of baking them.
I like both cooking methods. Sometimes I bake them, sometimes I fry them. I've even been known to throw them into a CI pan and put the on the Webber, over charcoal of course, and with the lid firmly in place. That's mighty tasty as well.

You can even sauce them if you like.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Chief. Do you get a crispy crust baking them? I have never been able to get that fried crispy coating in the oven.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Chief. Do you get a crispy crust baking them? I have never been able to get that fried crispy coating in the oven.
Use Panko Bread crumbs for a more crispy texture. Also, cook in a 400' oven, on parchment paper.
]
Hope that helps.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Use Panko Bread crumbs for a more crispy texture. Also, cook in a 400' oven, on parchment paper.
]
Hope that helps.
I will give it another go chief. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #27
Sous Chef

it is possible to do a crispy crust in the oven.

my favorite is oven-chicken-fried-steak....but, not known to disown a thick pork chop, either. or chicken steaks, or . . . (add long list here)

bring the meat to room temp
pat the meat dry immediately before the 'wash' - I use a egg wash diluted a smidge with water to ensure it is smoothly homogenous

apply breading - now....
panko works pretty good, frankly I've had better luck with 'homemade' bread crumb from stale Italian/French style loaves. it _must_ be dry and stale; chop to size.
(typically I freeze the left-over chunks; then chop & oven toast.)

store bought flour-size bread crumbs do not work; they go gummy.

into the egg wash, drip off any excess. excess moisture is not your friend.

into the breading mix
onto a metal rack and allow to 'air dry' for 20-30 minutes. yes, it's important.

the rack then goes on a shallow baking pan and into the oven.
they can be done at low temps, but if done at low temp, plan on a finish at higher temp (400-500'F) to dry&crisp the crust.

touch not thy chop/steak on the rack until the crust is set.

not tried the parchment routine - just the 'on a (cake cooling) rack'
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

dcSaute, that's the method I use for crispy chicken tonkatsu. I cut the chicken into fingers first, so there's more crispy surface
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
it is possible to do a crispy crust in the oven.

my favorite is oven-chicken-fried-steak....but, not known to disown a thick pork chop, either. or chicken steaks, or . . . (add long list here)

bring the meat to room temp
pat the meat dry immediately before the 'wash' - I use a egg wash diluted a smidge with water to ensure it is smoothly homogenous

apply breading - now....
panko works pretty good, frankly I've had better luck with 'homemade' bread crumb from stale Italian/French style loaves. it _must_ be dry and stale; chop to size.
(typically I freeze the left-over chunks; then chop & oven toast.)

store bought flour-size bread crumbs do not work; they go gummy.

into the egg wash, drip off any excess. excess moisture is not your friend.

into the breading mix
onto a metal rack and allow to 'air dry' for 20-30 minutes. yes, it's important.

the rack then goes on a shallow baking pan and into the oven.
they can be done at low temps, but if done at low temp, plan on a finish at higher temp (400-500'F) to dry&crisp the crust.

touch not thy chop/steak on the rack until the crust is set.

not tried the parchment routine - just the 'on a (cake cooling) rack'
I assumed allowing the meat to sit with breading on it would allow it to get soggy?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I assumed allowing the meat to sit with breading on it would allow it to get soggy?
This is a common instruction with breaded items. It serves to make the breading stick better. the crispness comes later when it's cooked.

Tags
breadcrumbs, herbs, pork, recipe

Breaded Pork Loin Cutlets I have been trying to nail the seasonings for KFC chicken for years. Last night, I was preparing a seasoned breadcrumb coating for pork loin cutlets, and got the KFC taste. With the pork, it came out wonderful, and so, I have to share. Preheat your oven to 360' F Set up a breading station with two wide bowls, filled from left to right with the following; AP Flour, Egg Wash, and a shaker bag of Seasoned Breadcrumbs. The flour is unseasoned. The egg-wash is simply 1 large egg combined with a splash of milk. The breadcrumbs are seasoned like this: 1 cup breadcrumbs 1 tsp. dried oregano 1 tsp. dried basil 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tbs. ground pepper 1/2 tsp. MSG 2 dashes dried ginger 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram 1/4 tsp. dried thyme 1/2 tsp. celery seed 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic 1 tsp. paprika Combine well. Make sure the cutlets are moist. Dredge in the flour until evenly coated. Gently knock of excess flour. Place into the egg-wash and flip to completely coat. Place in shaker back and shake until evenly coated. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 360' F for 30,minutes. Serve with your favorite sides.:chef:ade. The flavor is better than with chicken. Oh, and just as an experiment, I used left-over smashed spuds, seasoned with the same herbs and spices, with some left over ground beef, and a raw egg added, and made potato pancakes this morning. They also came out very good. I can see this flavor combination used for gravies, with lamb, veal, turkey, and chicken. I would think you could also make a seasoned flour, if you didn't want to use the breadcrumbs. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews