Breaded Pork Loin Cutlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been trying to nail the seasonings for KFC chicken for years. Last night, I was preparing a seasoned breadcrumb coating for pork loin cutlets, and got the KFC taste. With the pork, it came out wonderful, and so, I have to share.

Preheat your oven to 360' F
Set up a breading station with two wide bowls, filled from left to right with the following; AP Flour, Egg Wash, and a shaker bag of Seasoned Breadcrumbs.

The flour is unseasoned. The egg-wash is simply 1 large egg combined with a splash of milk. The breadcrumbs are seasoned like this:

1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG
2 dashes dried ginger
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. paprika

Combine well. Make sure the cutlets are moist. Dredge in the flour until evenly coated. Gently knock of excess flour. Place into the egg-wash and flip to completely coat. Place in shaker back and shake until evenly coated. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 360' F for 30,minutes. Serve with your favorite sides.:chef:ade. The flavor is better than with chicken.

Oh, and just as an experiment, I used left-over smashed spuds, seasoned with the same herbs and spices, with some left over ground beef, and a raw egg added, and made potato pancakes this morning. They also came out very good. I can see this flavor combination used for gravies, with lamb, veal, turkey, and chicken. I would think you could also make a seasoned flour, if you didn't want to use the breadcrumbs.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
That does sound good. I might give it a try tonight. I will have to make a few modifications. :rolleyes:

I don't have any garlic granules. Do you think it would be better to use garlic powder or to chop up some fresh garlic and dehydrate it?

I won't be using MSG, 'cause it gives me the weird "headache".

How thick do you cut your pork loin cutlets? How many will this amount of bread crumbs coat?

That does sound good. I might give it a try tonight. I will have to make a few modifications. :rolleyes:

I don't have any garlic granules. Do you think it would be better to use garlic powder or to chop up some fresh garlic and dehydrate it?

How thick do you cut your pork loin cutlets? How many will this amount of bread crumbs coat?

I think the garlic powder will work fine.

Garlic powder/granulated garlic = same thing. Grain size may be a little different. Use them interchangeably.

Hi, TL. Is it MSG as an additive that gives you a headache, or is it the MSG in ingredients that contain it, as well? If the former, Cooks' Illustrated suggests using ground dried mushrooms as a substitute - it has lots of natural MSG and gives foods that umami flavor that make them extra yummy :)

I'm going to try this soon, too. Sounds great.

The bread crumb combo sounds good Chief, but if you're looking to replicate KFC you'll need five times the amount of salt you have listed.:wacko:

Thanks for the sharing! :yum:

Hi, TL. Is it MSG as an additive that gives you a headache, or is it the MSG in ingredients that contain it, as well? If the former, Cooks' Illustrated suggests using ground dried mushrooms as a substitute - it has lots of natural MSG and gives foods that umami flavor that make them extra yummy :)

I'm going to try this soon, too. Sounds great.
It's manufactured MSG that's the problem, not naturally occurring MSG. So maybe there is some additive that does it. But, I doubt the MSG is actually that important in this. It is a meat dish.

I was told that manufactured MSG is a different isomer than naturally occurring MSG, so the active transport that takes big molecules out of cells can't grab the manufactured one (wrong shape). But, I have Googled and haven't been able to find anything to support that theory.

Well, I disagree about the importance of the MSG. Not saying that you have to use it or anything like that, but for the sake of the thread, I think people would be missing out if they left it out, or something like it - maybe a little Maggi seasoning with the egg. It increases the savoriness of foods, especially meats.

Taxlady, re: garlic, ground or granular. I was told the difference in use is what it is being added to. Because the granular doesn't clump when being added to a hot liquid it is used then. When mixing with dry ingredients, garlic powder should work just fine. Hope this helps...as long as I'm right, that is.

Well, I disagree about the importance of the MSG. Not saying that you have to use it or anything like that, but for the sake of the thread, I think people would be missing out if they left it out, or something like it - maybe a little Maggi seasoning with the egg. It increases the savoriness of foods, especially meats.
Maggi seasoning is full of MSG.

You may be right that it would be useful. I think I have some portobello powder in my spice cabinet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Teh amount of MSG is 1/2 tsp. The cutlets were cut 3/4 inch thick. The amount of breadcrumbs I made would coat 3 cutlets. Multiply all ingredients accordingly.

Oh, and I added the leftover flour and seasoned breadcrumbs, with 2 tbs. cooking oil, and 1 tsp. baking powder to the egg wash and turned it into biscuit batter/dough. I baked the biscuits and they came out great, especially with a bit of butter and honey.

Tip: Replace the basil and oregano with shredded coconut for another really great breading.

Last edited:
The coconut sounds like a nice touch!

I think that would be great on some chicken fingers with duck sauce for dipping!

I usually go with half panko and half grated Romano cheese.

I also add just a touch of baking powder or baking soda. I think it helps to puff up the coating mixture and make it a little crispier.

I tried this and it was yummy. We will definitely have it again.

Next time I won't put foil. A lot of the breading stuck to the foil and I find it easier to get stuck-on-breading off of something less pliable than foil. I used porcini powder instead of MSG. I might substitute Hot Hungarian Paprika for the regular paprika next time.

Thanks Chief.

Next time I won't put foil. A lot of the breading stuck to the foil and I find it easier to get stuck-on-breading off of something less pliable than foil. I used porcini powder instead of MSG. I might substitute Hot Hungarian Paprika for the regular paprika next time.

Thanks Chief.

If you spray the foil with Pam, foods seem to stick a lot less. I do this when I bake a lasagna and the cheese doesn't stick to the foil.

If you spray the foil with Pam, foods seem to stick a lot less. I do this when I bake a lasagna and the cheese doesn't stick to the foil.
I don't own any Pam. My sister, the chemical engineer who specialized in food, assures me that Pam is okay. But, it will take a while for me to remember to look for it.

Thanks Chief.
Taxi, you're so very welcome. I'm glad you liked it. I love it when I'm able to share something to others that they enjoy.:) I have a friend at work that won't make any other seasoned coating anymore than one that I gave him. He gave me his pizza recipe, and his orange chicken recipe, which is surprisingly like my own pineapple sweet and sour sauce. It's really satisfying to be able to share recipes, and know that what you give, and receive is high quality.

My favorite food times are when I'm teaching people who want to learn. 2nd to that is sharing with people who appreciate my offerings, and give back in kind.

I guess that's why I'm hooked on DC, great people, great recipes, great food knowledge, and best of all, great friends.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds nice, thanks Chief :)

I have been trying to nail the seasonings for KFC chicken for years. Last night, I was preparing a seasoned breadcrumb coating for pork loin cutlets, and got the KFC taste. With the pork, it came out wonderful, and so, I have to share.

Preheat your oven to 360' F
Set up a breading station with two wide bowls, filled from left to right with the following; AP Flour, Egg Wash, and a shaker bag of Seasoned Breadcrumbs.

The flour is unseasoned. The egg-wash is simply 1 large egg combined with a splash of milk. The breadcrumbs are seasoned like this:

1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG
2 dashes dried ginger
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. paprika

Combine well. Make sure the cutlets are moist. Dredge in the flour until evenly coated. Gently knock of excess flour. Place into the egg-wash and flip to completely coat. Place in shaker back and shake until evenly coated. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 360' F for 30,minutes. Serve with your favorite sides.:chef:ade. The flavor is better than with chicken.

Oh, and just as an experiment, I used left-over smashed spuds, seasoned with the same herbs and spices, with some left over ground beef, and a raw egg added, and made potato pancakes this morning. They also came out very good. I can see this flavor combination used for gravies, with lamb, veal, turkey, and chicken. I would think you could also make a seasoned flour, if you didn't want to use the breadcrumbs.

Back
Top Bottom