Brining pork questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't gravy one of the food groups necessary daily for good health, a cold moist nose, and a shiny coat of some type??

3.gif

Gravy it is.

I am not sure if Canada has the same schedule, but at 10pm tonight on FoodTV they are showing the Good Eats episode where he does stuffed chops. I am not sure, but I think it might be the one where he does his pork brine.

Would you believe that I have only watched FoodTV about twice? I don't think we can get it on the tv upstairs (near the kitchen).

I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath to hear about tonight's pork extravaganza....
Alix outdid herself again. It was great, nice and juicy.....so good I didn't even need the gravy.
And to think I used to believe she was wasting her time here.......again, just kidding Hon!

OK, I am totally sold on brining pork chops. They were so tender and juicy. I DID make the stinking gravy and then he didn't even use it :angry: !!

Thanks for all your help guys. A very successful experiment and one that we will repeat from now on.

That is awesome Alix and Ken! Now take that gravy and stick it in the mail. I can make good use of it :LOL:

Hey, I am sure I can find a use for it somewhere GB, sorry my friend you will have to make your own. Thanks for the brining help though.

OK, related question. Hope someone will see this.

The pork chops were fried in my trust CI pan and then of course I deglazed and made the gravy in there. When I first tasted the gravy I thought it tasted a bit metallic. Now is that a normal flavour if you use your CI? Or is it because I deglazed with red wine which is a bit acidic and it reacted with the CI?

OK I am going to hazard a guess even though you are not sending me any gravy :mad: :LOL:

I am guessing that the wine reacted with the pan. How well seasoned is the CI? If it does not have a strong seasoning then I bet that is what happened. If the seasoning is pretty strong though then having some wine in the pan for a short (I am assuming short) period of time should not have done much.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I didn't even think of messing up the seasoning!!! It should be OK though, this is my super old extremely well seasoned one. I think I am good, but I may just oil it up and toss it in the oven for good measure.

If the metalic taste stayed with the gravy then it was a reaction. If the taste disapeared, my guess is it was the raw wine cooking out, and the flavors hadn't fully come together yet.

I offen use cast iron, always cook with wine (sometimes even in the recipes!) and only once had a seasoning problem related to letting the food cool in the pan rather than removing to a serving dish.

If it is an old and well seasoned then you did no damage. A well seasoned pan can stand up to a lot! a little bit of wine wont hurt it. Of course more oil never hurts a CI pan :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom