Buying bacon in bulk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I always buy packaged bacon at the supermarket. Well, the other day my DIL said she gets theirs in bulk at a butcher shop and they love it.
Today I went there and got just 1/2 pound (just to try it out). It cost just $3.10 per pound. I was very pleased, it wasn't real thin or too thick, like the packaged. And the taste was the best I have had in many years. What type of bacon do you use?

We use Kirkland Signature, the Costco brand. It comes in four pound units. It's a little thicker than the Oscar Meyer and others. Tastes pretty good.

Hi, macbeth. Welcome to DC.

Yours is a difficult question to answer.

It depends on well done you want your bacon and how thick the bacon is.

Your best bet would be to cook several test strips and time the cooking.

There is usually a name brand (OM, Hormel, etc.) on sale at the supermarket. I will snatch up a couple packages and put one in the freezer.

I buy the Hormel Black Label at Sam's Club. It comes 4 1-lb. packages for under $9.00

I use bulk, rind on bacon from a local meat processor who also runs a large, bulk, retail meat counter...I buy 10 lbs, sometimes 20 lbs at a time. It's awesome!

I buy in bulk from a local bulk food store and then bake it in the oven which keeps the bacon flat and crisp. It is then flash frozen and placed in vacuum seal bags for final storage. Takes only 10-20 seconds in microwave to heat up.

I use bulk, rind on bacon from a local meat processor who also runs a large, bulk, retail meat counter...I buy 10 lbs, sometimes 20 lbs at a time. It's awesome!

Dear Uncle Bob,

It has been so long since I had any, that I had forgotten that bacon even had a rind. I used to love chewing on it when I was a kid. I would have to go to a farmers market to get it. They don't sell it in my local grocery stores. My Dad used to buy it by the slab and we'd slice it ourselves. Those were the days....

Buy in bulk at Costco like Andy does. I very rarely cook bacon to eat it. I usually cook with bacon. But the Kirkland brand is decent enough.

Dear Uncle Bob,

It has been so long since I had any, that I had forgotten that bacon even had a rind. I used to love chewing on it when I was a kid. I would have to go to a farmers market to get it. They don't sell it in my local grocery stores. My Dad used to buy it by the slab and we'd slice it ourselves. Those were the days....

They sell it by the slab, and I have bought it that way a few times....Most of the time I buy it presliced --- I love the rind too...especialy when it fries up crispy and crunchy --- Great flavor!

Freezing Bacon

Does anyone freeze the extra bacon they buy in bulk? Everytime I buy a pack of bacon we seem to open in once and cook about half of it. It usually sits in the fridge and gets thrown out because we all forget how old it is. We are somewhat terrified of keeping food too long. But now that I am in my thirties we are starting to watch the money going out.

I could see freezing bacon and getting it out a day or 2 before using it. My mom tried cooking a bunch of bacon and freezing it, and then heating it up in the microwave and I didnt think it was all that great. Similar to soft beef jerky. I dont think she will do that again. They live out in the middle of no where so they cant just run to the store each day like myself.

I've never had bacon go "bad" that I am aware of, as long as it is refrigerated. It is smoked so it is not raw meat. But yes I buy bacon in bulk and freeze it all the time, but I transfer it to FoodSaver bags into serving size portions.

Most of the time however, if I have the time, I will bake all the bacon in the oven (it stays flat and no oil splattering), quickly freeze the individual slices and then pack in FoodSaver or Reynolds Hand-Vac vacuum bags. That way I just pull out a few pieces and reheat in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.

I don't know why you are terrified of keeping food too long. Most people today are stockpiling food and supplies to last for years. It's just a matter of understanding the foods. Lots of information on the internet if you seek it. And if you learn to understand the expiration dates placed on foods, you know how far "beyond" that date it is still fresh or if you need to store it differently.

Did you know you can freeze milk? or Eggs?

Life is fun.

They sell it by the slab, and I have bought it that way a few times....Most of the time I buy it presliced --- I love the rind too...especialy when it fries up crispy and crunchy --- Great flavor!

I want some now!! I'm gonna find a source for slab bacon near here right away.

And isn't the rind great for flavoring beans and stuff?

I buy the slabs, not presliced. $2.99/lb. Sometimes I 1/4 cube it like an onion and fry it up for my daughter that way with some potatoes. She loves it!

SevenS, I agree, bacon can and will go rancid.

I usually buy Wright's Ends and Pieces. I can get a 3 lb package for around $4. I portion this out into 8 oz packages, then freeze. I end up dicing this bacon up, frozen, for use in clam chowder, as bacon bits, or for Frijoles Barrachos.

I have thought about getting a case of bacon from work. A 20 lb case for $30. The only problem is that I'm not sure if the case will fit in my deep freezer.

Back
Top Bottom