C Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I ran across this in the grocery styore the other day. Hadn't had any in many a year. Threw a slice in a hot skillet til it started to brown, then added a couple of eggs. Scrambled everything together till the eggs were just cooked through. Mighty good with coffee and a couple slices of toast....Get the day started right!

I had to look it up. Pork stomach and pork skin. I'll have to take your word for it. I've never seen it around here.

Interesting. I never heard of it either.
Just one more use for swine.

thanks, andy, and of course hoot for something new. i assumed the c in c loaf stood for chicklen and the loaf was made from chicken bits and schmatlz.

still, it sounds good.

What do you call a slice of C-Loaf?... A C-section ;p
Good one, Snip!!:LOL:
C loaf is pork stomachs and intestines boiled to a thick consistency. Seasonings (typically salt, vinegar and some dried cayenne flakes if desired) are added. It is then poured in to a pan and chilled. It can then be sliced. The flavor is surprisingly mild and if the main ingredient is properly cleaned there will be little in the way of what Mrs. Hoot calls a terrible aroma. It is distinctly different in flavor from scrapple which employs organ meat and corn meal. Hmm....now I am hungry again!

I was able to read two different C-Loaf labels and neither contained intestines. Unless stomach includes intestines. The ingredients were stomach, water, skin, salt, spices and MSG.

Maybe other brands differ.

I would be concerned about eating ground up chitlins processed in a factory.

I would give it a try if it was more or less homemade in small batches.

Put a small glass of bourbon next to my plate to help get my courage up and the C-loaf down! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Stomach may include intestines....I just ain't sure. I was speaking of homemade chitlin's in my earlier post. When I was a kid, I recall that we used the stomach and the intestines.
Gotta be very scrupulous with the cleaning of such ingredients.
The C loaf I purchased was a store brand. Not sure of the origin, but very tasty.

Good one Snippers! lol

Do they call this anything different, Hoot?
I recall a cooking reality show, maybe the roadkill one, where the guys were in a small diner in the back cooking pig intestines in large pots. I'm pretty sure they made some kind of sandwich from the mixture, but I don't recall it being formed into a loaf. It may have been... C-loaf doesn't ring a bell though.

Good one Snippers! lol

Do they call this anything different, Hoot?
I recall a cooking reality show, maybe the roadkill one, where the guys were in a small diner in the back cooking pig intestines in large pots. I'm pretty sure they made some kind of sandwich from the mixture, but I don't recall it being formed into a loaf. It may have been... C-loaf doesn't ring a bell though.
There may be other names for this...couldn't say what they may be though. I reckon you could make a chitlin' sandwich. Might be good! I 'spect I will have to experiment and see what I can come up with. I do know that chitlin's are good in a variety of soup recipes, or mixed with sauteed garden vegetables and served over rice. They are also good mixed with eggs. Shucks, I have even mixed them with ramen noodles omitting the package of flavored salt that comes with the noodles. Just add some sriracha and a little rice wine or apple cider vinegar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom