Cajun pork and black eyed pea chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
This is best if made at least a day ahead so the flavors will meld. It just has a hint of spice/heat in it. I only made half the recipe since it was a new one and it's all gone. Obviously, Craig loved it as well since I only had 1 bowl.

Serves 4-6

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
12 ounces fresh (not smoked) andouille sausage, removed from casing
1 pound ground pork
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 celery stalks with leafy tops, diced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken or pork stock
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
15 ounce package of frozen black-eyed peas
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp Crystal
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp creole seasoning
1/2 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper

For garnish:
2-3 green onions, both green and white parts, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Serve with cornbread, I made Southern sweet cornbread with just a touch of vanilla in it.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the andouille sausage and ground pork and cook, breaking up, until browned.. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage and pork mixture to a bowl. Set aside. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté until onions are translucent and vegetables are softened, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the remaining ingredients, including the pork/sausage mixture and bring chili to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until chili has thickened.

Serve chili topped with diced scallions and grated cheese if desired, with cornbread on the side.

Last edited:
In case you can't find fresh andouille, here's what we use. It's Emeril's recipe other than he uses pork butt and grinds it, as we do because we make big batches, 15+ pounds, at a time. We put some in cases and smoke, but always keep some out as fresh bulk for things like the chili recipe above or Cajun burgers when mixed with ground beef, etc.

2-1/2 pounds ground pork
1/4 cup Rustic Rub (see below)
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 cup paprika
3/4 tsp file powder (optional)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 cup finely chopped garlic

Mix all the ingredients together and refrigerate for 24 hours before using. Portion and freeze remaining.

Rustic Rub

4 tsp paprika
1-1/2 tsp cayenne
2-1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp onion powder
3 tsp salt
1-1/4 tsp dried oregano
1-1/4 tsp dried thyme

Last edited:
Forgot to add photo.

Attachments

• 2019-01-30 18.23.39.jpg
    2019-01-30 18.23.39.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 249
Sounds great Med, and thanks.

The recipe calls for "2 Tbsp Crystal". You're talking Crystal brand hot sauce, right? Andouille isn't common in these parts but I'll be on the hunt since I'm too lazy to make it. I might sub with chorizo. I love the black eye peas idea. :yum:

Last edited:
Sounds great Med, and thanks.

The recipe calls for "2 Tbsp Crystal". You're talking Crystal brand hot sauce, right? Andouille isn't common in these parts but I'll be on the hunt since I'm too lazy to make it. I love the black eye peas idea. :yum:

You're welcome.

Yes, Crystal hot sauce.

There's a commercial brand called Ragin Cajun, spelling might be slightly different. It's okay, we've used it in a pinch, but it is smoked, so not fresh and will have a stronger flavor.

You could always just add the extra ground pork and kind of wing it on the spices, using the recipe as a guideline.

You're welcome.

Yes, Crystal hot sauce.

There's a commercial brand called Ragin Cajun, spelling might be slightly different. It's okay, we've used it in a pinch, but it is smoked, so not fresh and will have a stronger flavor.

You could always just add the extra ground pork and kind of wing it on the spices, using the recipe as a guideline.

Haaa...you know me well. ;) This sounds perfect for Super Bowl Sunday...the only football game I ever watch.

Last edited:
Damn, I was just talking to my wife about what we're having for eats on the afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday (I have to be at work by gametime - all hands on deck).
Our tradition was broiled Buffalo wings and loaded nachos, but with no kitchen this year, cooking is out. I would love to make this chili.

I must set some kind of reminder on my phone's calendar to look back at this next year.

Thanks, med.

Kayelle, If you have a Mexican grocery nearby (just guessing you will, from your location!), try to get some chorizo. I once saw a recipe in one of Emeril's books for Andouille, and it was incredibly close to a recipe I have been using for chorizo since the 70s - the only change was the thyme instead of oregano. And the chorizo I have gotten in Mexican groceries is almost the same as that old recipe. Maybe add a little thyme, to get closer to the Andouille, and more heat, if you like it.

Kayelle, If you have a Mexican grocery nearby (just guessing you will, from your location!), try to get some chorizo. I once saw a recipe in one of Emeril's books for Andouille, and it was incredibly close to a recipe I have been using for chorizo since the 70s - the only change was the thyme instead of oregano. And the chorizo I have gotten in Mexican groceries is almost the same as that old recipe. Maybe add a little thyme, to get closer to the Andouille, and more heat, if you like it.

Yes, I thought of that too PH. My mile away Mexican market is a treasure. Their produce is excellent and cheap and their beautiful full service meat market with real butchers is extraordinary.

Chorizo will be a great substitute. :D

In my experience, Mexican chorizo is a fresh product and has no heat to it. Andouille has heat and is smoked. I have made Emeril's Andouille and there isn't any comparison to Mexican chorizo. Maybe Spanish chorizo or adding "Rustic Rub" or one of Prudhomme's spice blends to bulk Mexican chorizo and some liquid smoke. Fry a small patty and adjust for seasoning.

Back
Top Bottom