"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can I get good crackling on a leg of ham?

I'm keen to roast a leg of ham to get a very light and crispy crackling. Do you think that this could this be possible, considering all the curing and smoking that the ham rind would have been through already?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

do you mean that after curing and baking a pork shoulder (a ham as it's known) you intend to fry the peeled skin to make cracklins, then yes, certainly. i do it every easter just before i make pea soup with the leftover bone and meat.

i peel the ham, chop and render the under-the-skin fat to sweat the onions for the soup, then continue to fry the fat and skin for cracklins.

if you mean can you get a cracklin type skin on a baked ham as is, well l, then, the only way that i can think of is to deep fry the cured shoulder much like a deep fried turkey.

has anyone tried this?

kuj, you might be on to something.

or just mad. lol

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Master Chef

In the United States it is almost impossible to find a commercial ham with a thick cap of fat that can be deeply scored and slow roasted to create a crispy crackling.

I would look for a small local butcher that might be able to provide a whole fresh ham or gammon.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Use fresh ham-
Discovering Fresh Ham Roast - Cooks Illustrated
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
In the United States it is almost impossible to find a commercial ham with a thick cap of fat that can be deeply scored and slow roasted to create a crispy crackling.

I would look for a small local butcher that might be able to provide a whole fresh ham or gammon.

i don't know. it seems the cheaper the ham i buy, the fattier it is that then allows for crackins.
in one of my first recipes that i posted here, i mentioned renering the fat to sweat the veggies when making pea soup, then hiding the cracklins for the cook to enjoy later.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Texas, one Easter I made (and the only time) a whole fresh ham leg. I made a mixture of pineapple juice, crushed pineapple and brown sugar. I scored it deeply, and pressed the mixture into the scores. Then placed cloves on it. I put it on 300F and cooked it very slow for about five hours. Then I turned it up to 400F. for about an hour. I was going for a pretty top. I knew nothing about cracklins. My neighbor came over to see how it was going. When she saw the skin, she told me she had dibs on ALL the skin. I thought she was crazy. But I was so wrong. When I told some other Texans about it, they thought I was crazy for not eating it myself. My neighbor did get all the skin. She invited herself to dinner to make sure. The skin was really crunchy crispy. And she was so happy. I think that is the only part of the dinner she ate. What she couldn't finish she took home. Cracklins still have no appeal to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for some great ideas!

Tags
ham