"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...But seriously, I love the bark as well. My DW can't chew anything but the most tender meat due to poor fitting dentures. So, I have to go to extremes to make sure she can enjoy what I make. She would consider competition ribs too tough to eat.

Often, I make her portions special for her, and my portion is cooked with a different method, or additional herbs and spices.

It's my opinion that i have to do everything in my power to satisfy the needs of those who eat my food...
You're absolutely right. It's your job to prepare foods she wants or needs. I wasn't aware of the special requirement.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You're absolutely right. It's your job to prepare foods she wants or needs. I wasn't aware of the special requirement.
So, you gonna bring me pulled pork, with bark?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Sorry, I'm not allowed to cross the border.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sorry, I'm not allowed to cross the border.
What border? I'm on the Michigan side of the river.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
What border? I'm on the Michigan side of the river.

The Massachusetts border. My honey won't let me out of the state.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

very nice, chief. i've been doing the same thing for several years now with much success - if reviews from friends, family, cub scouts, and coworkers are to be believed (smoking then finishing in a crock pot, that is).

bark is nice but overrated when it comes to pulled pork sliders or sandwiches, imo, especially if you add a sauce after pulling.

if anyone complains that there's no bark when making a sandwich, open the bun, shout "woof woof", then close it and say there's your bark...

btw, a picnic shoulder and a boston butt are fairly different in terms of making pulled pork. a picnic has a lot of waste with the skin (unless you make chicharonnes) and a larger bone joint, where a butt is all meat and fat with a singular smaller bone.
also, a picnic tastes more "hammy" even when not cured or injected, where a butt tastes sweeter and more like fresh pork as in chops or loin. it's difficult to describe until you try them.

imo, a boston butt is the way to go, but they're usually twice the price (currently around $3.50/lb) versus picnics.

i used to smoke and slow cook 4 shoulders for my dept's christmas party every year: 2 butts and 2 picnic shoulders, then shred and hand blend the meat from all 4, eventually mixing half with bbq sauce and the other half with vinegar/mustard sauce in order to cover all bases. the 4 shoulder cuts produced 2 very full standard half sized serving tray (each half tray with the different sauce) serving probably 75 to 100 people on slider buns.

man, i want a pulled pork sammy...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
very nice, chief. i've been doing the same thing for several years now with much success - if reviews from friends, family, cub scouts, and coworkers are to be believed (smoking then finishing in a crock pot, that is).

bark is nice but overrated when it comes to pulled pork sliders or sandwiches, imo, especially if you add a sauce after pulling.

if anyone complains that there's no bark when making a sandwich, open the bun, shout "woof woof", then close it and say there's your bark...

btw, a picnic shoulder and a boston butt are fairly different in terms of making pulled pork. a picnic has a lot of waste with the skin (unless you make chicharonnes) and a larger bone joint, where a butt is all meat and fat with a singular smaller bone.
also, a picnic tastes more "hammy" even when not cured or injected, where a butt tastes sweeter and more like fresh pork as in chops or loin. it's difficult to describe until you try them.

imo, a boston butt is the way to go, but they're usually twice the price (currently around $3.50/lb) versus picnics.

i used to smoke and slow cook 4 shoulders for my dept's christmas party every year: 2 butts and 2 picnic shoulders, then shred and hand blend the meat from all 4, eventually mixing half with bbq sauce and the other half with vinegar/mustard sauce in order to cover all bases. the 4 shoulder cuts produced 2 very full standard half sized serving tray (each half tray with the different sauce) serving probably 75 to 100 people on slider buns.

Nice. We need to somehow get a DC get together somewhere with a large open field, free of tornadoes and thunderstorms, where we can all set up our grills, and have a BBQ/girlling party in the sun. Of course I think it should be along the shores of Lake Superior, with pristine beaches. But that's just me.

Oh what good times we would have. And everyone would be invited.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

If one can't get Boston butt (I've never seen anything labeled as such here), which cut would you recommend?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Boston butt is a regional term. In other areas, it may be shoulder butt roast or pork butt. In the UK, it might be pork hand or pork hand and spring. Shoulder butt I have seen. It is not a picnic--that is taken below from where the butt is taken.

http://assets.smokingmeatforums.com/...-large1900.gif

Tags
recipe, pork, onion, salt

Carnitas, Or Pulled Pork, You Decide I was on the lookout for a good sized Boston Butt, with which I was going to make pulled pork for a Sunday, after-church pot luck. Not finding any in our local grocery stores, I looked in (gasp, it's true :ohmy:) Wal Mart. I found a Boston Butt that met my needs. But, right next to it were packages of pork labled, For Carnitas. I looked at them, and they looked like a Boston Butt that was cut into 3 to 4 lb. chunks, with the same ratio of fat to meat that I found in a Boston Butt, and, they were cheaper by pound, and bone free. I quickly secured about 7 lbs. worth. Recipe: Charcoal, natural large stick of apple wood (2" thick by 8" long) 7 lbs. large Pork chunks Salt 2 yellow onions, halved, then quartered Divide the charcoal into two beds on either side of the grill (Webber Kettle for me). Light them and let them get very hot. While the grill is getting hot, place the meat into a large bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Turn the meat, in the bowl, with your hands until all meat is coated. Peel and prepare the onion. Place wood on top of one pile of charcoal. Put the cooking grate on the grill and place the meat all over it. Cover, and set all vents to the half open position. Cook for 20 mintues and turn over. Put the lid back on and go about other chores. Repeat 2 more times for a total cooking time of an hour. Remove the meat to a platter and cover the grill. Close all vents to kill the fire so you can re-use the unburned charcoal. Turn your slow cooker to its medium setting. Spread the onion evenly accross the bottom. Put the meat into the slow cooker and forget about it for 8 to ten hours. When ready to serve, pull the meat apart and return to the slow cooker. bowl. Remove the bowl and use as the serving dish. Serve with good buns, and three different kinds of barbecue sauce. I make a tomato/brown sugar/chili powder (similar to Sweet baby Ray's), a honey mustard, and a Carolina style vinegar based sauce, and place the three bowls on the table so each person can use the kind they prefer. This method gives you ridiculously tender and juicy pulled pork, with smoke that permeates every morsel of meat. Needless to say, at the pot luck, it went fast. Tip, to light a kettle style charcoal grill, wad up 6 pages of news paper. Saturate with used cooking oil, and place under the charcoal grate, in the bottom of the kettle. Light. Your charcoal will be hot in eight to ten minutes or less. you will have used up cooking oil that would have been thrown away, and won't have to purchace that nasty, charcoal starter fluid. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews