"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Master Chef

Carnitas, Or Pulled Pork, You Decide

I was on the lookout for a good sized Boston Butt, with which I was going to make pulled pork for a Sunday, after-church pot luck. Not finding any in our local grocery stores, I looked in (gasp, it's true ) Wal Mart. I found a Boston Butt that met my needs. But, right next to it were packages of pork labled, For Carnitas. I looked at them, and they looked like a Boston Butt that was cut into 3 to 4 lb. chunks, with the same ratio of fat to meat that I found in a Boston Butt, and, they were cheaper by pound, and bone free. I quickly secured about 7 lbs. worth.

Recipe:
Charcoal, natural
large stick of apple wood (2" thick by 8" long)
7 lbs. large Pork chunks
Salt
2 yellow onions, halved, then quartered

Divide the charcoal into two beds on either side of the grill (Webber Kettle for me). Light them and let them get very hot.

While the grill is getting hot, place the meat into a large bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Turn the meat, in the bowl, with your hands until all meat is coated. Peel and prepare the onion.

Place wood on top of one pile of charcoal. Put the cooking grate on the grill and place the meat all over it. Cover, and set all vents to the half open position. Cook for 20 mintues and turn over. Put the lid back on and go about other chores. Repeat 2 more times for a total cooking time of an hour.

Remove the meat to a platter and cover the grill. Close all vents to kill the fire so you can re-use the unburned charcoal.

Turn your slow cooker to its medium setting. Spread the onion evenly accross the bottom. Put the meat into the slow cooker and forget about it for 8 to ten hours. When ready to serve, pull the meat apart and return to the slow cooker. bowl. Remove the bowl and use as the serving dish. Serve with good buns, and three different kinds of barbecue sauce. I make a tomato/brown sugar/chili powder (similar to Sweet baby Ray's), a honey mustard, and a Carolina style vinegar based sauce, and place the three bowls on the table so each person can use the kind they prefer.

This method gives you ridiculously tender and juicy pulled pork, with smoke that permeates every morsel of meat. Needless to say, at the pot luck, it went fast.

Tip, to light a kettle style charcoal grill, wad up 6 pages of news paper. Saturate with used cooking oil, and place under the charcoal grate, in the bottom of the kettle. Light. Your charcoal will be hot in eight to ten minutes or less. you will have used up cooking oil that would have been thrown away, and won't have to purchace that nasty, charcoal starter fluid.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Charcoal, natural
7 lbs. large Pork chunks
Salt
2 yellow onions, halved, then quartered...
Chief, I know you like to save steps and eliminate unnecessary work, so I humbly suggest that you can save time by not halving the onion before you quarter it. Just go right to the quartering. There is virtually no difference in flavor.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I was on the lookout for a good sized Boston Butt, with which I was going to make pulled pork for a Sunday, after-church pot luck. Not finding any in our local grocery stores, I looked in (gasp, it's true ) Wal Mart. I found a Boston Butt that met my needs. But, right next to it were packages of pork labled, For Carnitas. I looked at them, and they looked like a Boston Butt that was cut into 3 to 4 lb. chunks, with the same ratio of fat to meat that I found in a Boston Butt, and, they were cheaper by pound, and bone free. I quickly secured about 7 lbs. worth.

Recipe:
Charcoal, natural
7 lbs. large Pork chunks
Salt
2 yellow onions, halved, then quartered

Divide the charcoal into two beds on either side of the grill (Webber Kettle for me). Light them and let them get very hot.

While the grill is getting hot, place the meat into a large bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Turn the meat, in the bowl, with your hands until all meat is coated. Peel and prepare the onion.

Place wood on top of one pile of charcoal. Put the cooking grate on the grill and place the meat all over it. Cover, and set all vents to the half open position. Cook for 20 mintues and turn over. Put the lid back on and go about other chores. Repeat 2 more times for a total cooking time of an hour.

Remove the meat to a platter and cover the grill. Close all vents to kill the fire so you can re-use the unburned charcoal.

Turn your slow cooker to its medium setting. Spread the onion evenly accross the bottom. Put the meat into the slow cooker and forget about it for 8 to ten hours. When ready to serve, pull the meat apart and return to the slow cooker. bowl. Remove the bowl and use as the serving dish. Serve with good buns, and three different kinds of barbecue sauce. I make a tomato/brown sugar/chili powder (similar to Sweet baby Ray's), a honey mustard, and a Carolina style vinegar based sauce, and place the three bowls on the table so each person can use the kind they prefer.

This method gives you ridiculously tender and juicy pulled pork, with smoke that permeates every morsel of meat. Needless to say, at the pot luck, it went fast.

Tip, to light a kettle style charcoal grill, wad up 6 pages of news paper. Saturate with used cooking oil, and place under the charcoal grate, in the bottom of the kettle. Light. Your charcoal will be hot in eight to ten minutes or less. you will have used up cooking oil that would have been thrown away, and won't have to purchace that nasty, charcoal starter fluid.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
This I want to try...but don't know if I can find Boston butt here...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I want to try this too!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This I want to try...but don't know if I can find Boston butt here...
We get something similar, called a picnic shoulder. They are often already smoked and full of weird chemicals.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We get something similar, called a picnic shoulder. They are often already smoked and full of weird chemicals.
That's part of the front leg just below the Boston Butt. It should work for pulled pork.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Master Chef

A picnic shoulder will work fine, especially if it's a fresh ham. But there's that huge bone you have to contend with. The bone is great for soups and beans though.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Yes butt don't buy the kind that's been injected. I have to Look at everything these days. I once bought a package of spare ribs and didn't realize they were injected. Tasted terrible.

I like Chief's method of smoking and then finishing in a slow cooker. There is a point where anything smoked doesn't take on any more smoke flavor ( I forget at what temp the meat is at at that point). After that you can finish them on the grill, smoker, in the oven or, as with this recipe in a slow cooker.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I am getting ready to do a butt for pulled pork and plan to start it on the Weber kettle to smoke it then move it to the oven to finish cooking. I like the bark dry cooking methods provide.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I am getting ready to do a butt for pulled pork and plan to start it on the Weber kettle to smoke it then move it to the oven to finish cooking. I like the bark dry cooking methods provide.
I expect to see you knocking on my front door with a generous portion of pulled pork, right? I mean, I'm always complimenting you on your food, knowledge, and cooking expertise.

But seriously, I love the bark as well. My DW can't chew anything but the most tender meat due to poor fitting dentures. So, I have to go to extremes to make sure she can enjoy what I make. She would consider competition ribs too tough to eat.

Often, I make her portions special for her, and my portion is cooked with a different method, or additional herbs and spices.

It's my opinion that i have to do everything in my power to satisfy the needs of those who eat my food. It's DW's job to do everything in her power to assist me in other ways that she's able to. For instance, she just purchased for me two bricks of exceptionally sharp, and well flavored cheddar cheese. I probably wouldn't ahve spent the money as I'm the only one in the house who loves sharp cheese (aged 8 years! ).

I hope your pork comes out incredible.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind or the North

Tags
recipe, pork, onion, salt

Carnitas, Or Pulled Pork, You Decide I was on the lookout for a good sized Boston Butt, with which I was going to make pulled pork for a Sunday, after-church pot luck. Not finding any in our local grocery stores, I looked in (gasp, it's true :ohmy:) Wal Mart. I found a Boston Butt that met my needs. But, right next to it were packages of pork labled, For Carnitas. I looked at them, and they looked like a Boston Butt that was cut into 3 to 4 lb. chunks, with the same ratio of fat to meat that I found in a Boston Butt, and, they were cheaper by pound, and bone free. I quickly secured about 7 lbs. worth. Recipe: Charcoal, natural large stick of apple wood (2" thick by 8" long) 7 lbs. large Pork chunks Salt 2 yellow onions, halved, then quartered Divide the charcoal into two beds on either side of the grill (Webber Kettle for me). Light them and let them get very hot. While the grill is getting hot, place the meat into a large bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Turn the meat, in the bowl, with your hands until all meat is coated. Peel and prepare the onion. Place wood on top of one pile of charcoal. Put the cooking grate on the grill and place the meat all over it. Cover, and set all vents to the half open position. Cook for 20 mintues and turn over. Put the lid back on and go about other chores. Repeat 2 more times for a total cooking time of an hour. Remove the meat to a platter and cover the grill. Close all vents to kill the fire so you can re-use the unburned charcoal. Turn your slow cooker to its medium setting. Spread the onion evenly accross the bottom. Put the meat into the slow cooker and forget about it for 8 to ten hours. When ready to serve, pull the meat apart and return to the slow cooker. bowl. Remove the bowl and use as the serving dish. Serve with good buns, and three different kinds of barbecue sauce. I make a tomato/brown sugar/chili powder (similar to Sweet baby Ray's), a honey mustard, and a Carolina style vinegar based sauce, and place the three bowls on the table so each person can use the kind they prefer. This method gives you ridiculously tender and juicy pulled pork, with smoke that permeates every morsel of meat. Needless to say, at the pot luck, it went fast. Tip, to light a kettle style charcoal grill, wad up 6 pages of news paper. Saturate with used cooking oil, and place under the charcoal grate, in the bottom of the kettle. Light. Your charcoal will be hot in eight to ten minutes or less. you will have used up cooking oil that would have been thrown away, and won't have to purchace that nasty, charcoal starter fluid. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews