"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

That "Lipton onion soup/cream of mushroom soup" is often the brunt of snickers for serious chef's everywhere. Pfffft I say........it turns into a tasty combo for all meats! Try adding 1/2 cup of sherry to the mix.....then it turns into gourmet'.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Cook

I'm with you - and if you can make 6 people happy, all the better!

Old 12-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook35 View Post
The ratio for brining would be a cup of salt to a gallon of water, does that sound right? Would you add any herbs or sugar to the brine? I plan to cook both to feed 6 of us.
You could go with a half cup of sugar and quarter cup of brown sugar (or white if that's what you have).
Old 12-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I won't say this is "the best" way to cook them, but I have made this recipe a few times and it's outstanding. It's also quite simple if you aren't opposed to tearing open a packet or opening a can And you still have a roast, but cooked differently than what you are used to.
Melt In Your Mouth Pork Loin
We're all turkeyed out, so this could be a candidate for Christmas dinner. Would it matter whether it's done on stove-top or in oven? I'm thinking roasted root vegetables with it. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
We're all turkeyed out, so this could be a candidate for Christmas dinner. Would it matter whether it's done on stove-top or in oven? I'm thinking roasted root vegetables with it. Thanks.
I cooked it in an oven using a CI Dutch oven. Lots of hot air surrounding the roast, but it is a small roast being only a loin... It might work, but I would be more inclined to use a slow cooker like Dawg mentioned. I think on a stovetop you would want to stir and fuss with it so nothing burns, and then you would lose your heat when you lifted the lid.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I cooked it in an oven using a CI Dutch oven. Lots of hot air surrounding the roast, but it is a small roast being only a loin... It might work, but I would be more inclined to use a slow cooker like Dawg mentioned. I think on a stovetop you would want to stir and fuss with it so nothing burns, and then you would lose your heat when you lifted the lid.
Cast Iron Dutch Oven in the oven it shall be. Thanks. (need an unhappy-looking pig, considering how he'll be coming to dinner)
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is really good and super easy in the slow cooker. I first saw it in one of my slow cooker's recipe leaflets.

Pot Roasted Pork Loin

Rub boneless pork loin roast with s&p. Stab meat and insert slivers of a garlic clove in the slits. Slice an onion and put in bottom of CP. Throw in loin along with another sliced onion, a couple of bay leaves, a whole clove, 1/2 cup water and a T. of soy sauce.

Cover and cook on low 10 hours, or high 5 hours. You can brown the roast before cooking, but it's not necessary.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This is really good and super easy in the slow cooker. I first saw it in one of my slow cooker's recipe leaflets.

Pot Roasted Pork Loin

Rub boneless pork loin roast with s&p. Stab meat and insert slivers of a garlic clove in the slits. Slice an onion and put in bottom of CP. Throw in loin along with another sliced onion, a couple of bay leaves, a whole clove, 1/2 cup water and a T. of soy sauce.

Cover and cook on low 10 hours, or high 5 hours. You can brown the roast before cooking, but it's not necessary.
Golly, that sounds really good, too. So it's c & P'd for future use.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Cook

I used the CI dutch oven and they're roasting/braising now and smelling heavenly! Any need to turn them? I was wondering if the fat side needs to be exposed to the liquid. Any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd leave them alone, whichever way you chose to cook them. It will all be good.

Tags
pork, pork roast, roast