Chef Francesco Bernardinelli´s Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Chef Francesco Bernardinelli, is one of Tuscany´s best chefs. His countryside Restaurant, Osteria di Rendola and his Florence city centre venue, Beccofino not in the genre of the old school, they are both fine dining establishments focusing on the best available product.

Francesco´s re-engineering from a simple rustic country technician into an up scale culinary artist came about two decades ago when he crossed the Atlantic Pond, and worked for San Domenico´s in Manhattan. Tuscan cuisine clings to its roots, however, Francesco has been infusing new life into traditional dishes with " delizioso " results.

On our last trip over to Firenze ( Florence ), we had met Francesco at Sant Ambrogio Market, a ten minute walk from the Duomo. Here is his recipe for Roast Pork Lion enhanced with fresh herbs ...

:yum: lion of sweet spiced pork roast ...

2 pounds of boneless pork tenderlion
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1/2 tsp. dried coriander
1/2 tsp. crushed black, green, rose and white peppercorns
1/2 cup of Extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
3 large spring onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 large carrot peeled and finely diced
1 rib celery stalk, finely diced
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar ( Italian )
1 tsp. salt to taste
1/2 tsp. black freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tblsp. butter unsalted
4 Bay Leaves
1 cup Vin Santo Tuscan semi sweet wine or Moscatel
1 sprig Fresh Rosemary, about 4 to 5 inches long with needles finely chopped
1 sprig Fresh Sage Leaf Herb finely chopped
4 cups of Homemade Beef Stock
6 slices of Baguette Italian Style Day Old Bread
a pinch of dried Thyme, Rosemary and Sage

1. have the butcher ( or yourself ) slice the pork crosswise into fillets, 1/2 inch thick and press to flatten
2. spread the slices in a large shallow clay earthenware baking dish. Crush the fennel seeds, coriander and peppercorns in a Mortar with a Pestle.
3. rub the spices into the pork: with the fennel seeds, coriander and crushed peppercorns
4. Then, drizzle 1/4 cup of the Evoo on top of the meat
5. cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the frig for 2 hours, turning once
6. preheat the broiler: remove the pork from the plastic wrap and season the pork with salt and pepper. Roll up the pork jelly roll style, creating rolls about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.
7. secure with toothpicks and heat remaining Evoo and the butter in a Dutch Oven over medium heat until butter melts
8. add the pork rolls and coat with the Evoo and butter mixture
9. then, cook pork for 5 mins. or until brown and crispy
10. transfer the pork to a platter and tent to keep warm
11. add the reserved marinated vegetables and spices plus the Bay Leaves to the Dutch Oven. Return the pork roast to the Dutch Oven, and add the Vin Santo and top with rosemary and sage sprigs
12. stir in gradually the beef stock
13. preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit, and roast the pork in a clay earthenware for 40 mins. or until the pork is fork bite tender
14. transfer pork to cutting board
15. Discard the solids of the stock, and strain the sauce into a medium saucepan and cook over medium to high heat until reduced by half
16. using a serrated knife, cut off crusts from bread and cut each slice into 2 equal pieces
17. spread out the bread chips on a baking sheet and drizzle with Evoo and bake until golden crispy about 10 mins. turning only once
18. SERVE WITH SAUCE DRIZZLED ON MEAT, A TUSCAN RED WINE AND
HOT OVEN WARM BREAD ...

ENJOY, :)
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buonasera Kylie,

I highly suggest if you are ever in Firenze ( Florence ), to have lunch at Francesco´s Trattoria ... He is unique ...

This recipe is not too difficult to duplicate at home. My roast came out exemplary.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Jenny,

When were you in Firenze ( Florence ) ?

He is a wonderful gent ...

Cool ... I am happily married 32 years with 2 married gals and 5 grand children.
He is Your´s !!!

Do you recall what you had at this 2 restaurants and which one you had eaten at ?
The time frame ?

Kind regards.
Margi.

Jenny,

When were you in Firenze ( Florence ) ?

He is a wonderful gent ...

Cool ... I am happily married 32 years with 2 married gals and 5 grand children.
He is Your´s !!!

Do you recall what you had at this 2 restaurants and which one you had eaten at ?
The time frame ?

Kind regards.
Margi.

I have been to Florence 4 or 5 times, but the most recent time was about 5 years ago.

What I recall about Beccofino was that the food was sort of not traditional Tuscan fare. I dont recall what we ate specifically except for some unusual vegetables that were delicious.

Our traveling party had a garlic allergy and a cow's milk allergy which made ordering an adventure ...

Jenny,

Francesco has 2 trattorias, one is more traditional and the one I believe you had dined at, is the more vanguard or modern evolution using local Tuscan products.

Glad you enjoyed, and he is just lovely & very talented with the Kitchen. He was an Intern in NYC, at a well known ristorante ...

Thanks for sharing.
Margaux.

Jenny,

We had lunch at both during our stay in Florence as I have a Publisher there. The Osteria was astonishing ...

Sorry to hear about your travel buddies; allergic to garlic, Madre Mia ... Milk intolerance is quite normal --- usually is only cow milk; and not cooked or goat or ewe milk ...

Best regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Jenny,

Francesco has 2 trattorias, one is more traditional and the one I believe you had dined at, is the more vanguard or modern evolution using local Tuscan products.

Glad you enjoyed, and he is just lovely & very talented with the Kitchen. He was an Intern in NYC, at a well known ristorante ...

Thanks for sharing.
Margaux.

Yes, it was the vanguard one. I recall that we were quite impressed.

And luckily my SIL who was part of our group speaks fluent Italian so we were not relegated to the "American room!"

Its very cool that you know him.

Ciao!

Last edited:
I have been to Florence 4 or 5 times, but the most recent time was about 5 years ago.

What I recall about Beccofino was that the food was sort of not traditional Tuscan fare. I dont recall what we ate specifically except for some unusual vegetables that were delicious.

Lucky thing...I would love to go :)

Back
Top Bottom