"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Cook

City Chicken pork smell ?

Anybody good with City Chicken? (Pork on a stick) How do I get that swiney or pork smell out of the meat? (I have seen "how do I get that fishy smell from fish") Last time I made City Chicken, I used pork tenderloin and it had a swine smell to it. It's not the first time I have had this either. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't and I cant figure out why.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
Welcome to DC Vanwingen!!! Somebody will help you about your question soon!!!

Old 08-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Welcome to DC!
I hope someone comes up with the answer for you - it is not someting I have encountered yet...

Good luck!
Jocelyne

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Somebody posted a similar question re pork smells - anyone remember?

I've never encountered this; are you sure the pork was fresh? Had it been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days? Was it cryovac packaged? Was the smell before, during or after cooking?

The only thing I could suggest is maybe soaking it in milk for a while, to see if that removes any odor.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Cook

Yes, it was in the fridge for 24 hours. I took it out the day before to marinade it. Now that you mention it, this might be a common link (the fridge). Sometime I marinade it, sometime I dont. I did try the milk thing and it didnt work last time. What kind of milk would you suggest? I used whole milk (vit D).
Old 08-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
Cook

to add to that, yes the pork is fresh, and not sure what cryovac is but vacuumed sealed maybe? that would be a no. standard grocery store stuff.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Any kind of milk is fine; yes, cryovac is vacuum sealed. What was the use by date on the pkg from the store? Did it sit in your fridge past the date? How is the temp in your fridge? If you removed the meat to marinate it, did you leave it sit out or re-refrigerate it immediately on getting it into the marinade?

As you can see, I'm really tending to go toward some sort of spoilage here, as I've never encountered that problem with pork.

Now, sometimes, any meat will have sort of a 'bloody' odor if it's been sitting at room temp - is that what you're talking about? Or is it even after the meat is cooked?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Master Chef

I think it's the meat blood you're smelling.
Try sprinkling the meat with lemon juice. I frequently do that to all kinds of meats...it takes away that slimy feeling, and doesn't really alter the taste of the meat, except to maybe give it a "fresher" taste.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef

If the Pork smells bad it is bad sometimes because you to need to rinse off blood as it can smell bad before meat also check the date on meat also some grocers will rewrap meat and put a new use by date.Other than that check your fridge maybe the tempurature is too high .Bottom line pork should not smell real bad.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
Cook

friend of mine suggested soaking the meat in white vinager? what do you think?

also, you all mention the date on the meat. what am I looking for? a date that reflects past due? of a due date of the next day? what would be a good date?

yes, the meat was bloody. I washed it several times, but I remembered it was excessively bloody.

Tags
None