"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Cola Ham

Thought I'd share a recipe that was a hit in my household.

I saw Paula Dean make this on her show and decided I was going to give it a shot myself. Well I pulled up her recipe and just took note of the ingredients and decided to wing it.

I bought a 7.75# ready to cook ham....I put it in a covered roasting pan...I then poured 1 (12 oz) can of Coke over it. I then proceeded to place pineapple rings all over the exposed areas and secured them with toothpicks. In the center of the pineapples I secured marishino cherries with toothpicks. I then cut tiny slits and poked in whole cloves.......probably 15 in all. I then sprinkled brown sugar on all the exposed areas. I then put the lid on the pan and roasted it...........making sure I basted it every 30 minutes.

I have to say this was the best ham I'd ever made before and will definetly be making this again.

__________________

__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
Shunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Arizona
Posts: 1,023
I like doing it this way too; but I leave out the brown sugar. I saw Alton use Dr. Pepper and that has been reported as being good too.
__________________

__________________
Polly aka Shunka....the Def Leppard crazy in AZ!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Half Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,927
but....but...are you sure this is a Paula recipe? I don't see a couple sticks of butter.
__________________
Jan
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Thought I'd share a recipe that was a hit in my household.

I saw Paula Dean make this on her show and decided I was going to give it a shot myself. Well I pulled up her recipe and just took note of the ingredients and decided to wing it.

I bought a 7.75# ready to cook ham....I put it in a covered roasting pan...I then poured 1 (12 oz) can of Coke over it. I then proceeded to place pineapple rings all over the exposed areas and secured them with toothpicks. In the center of the pineapples I secured marishino cherries with toothpicks. I then cut tiny slits and poked in whole cloves.......probably 15 in all. I then sprinkled brown sugar on all the exposed areas. I then put the lid on the pan and roasted it...........making sure I basted it every 30 minutes.

I have to say this was the best ham I'd ever made before and will definetly be making this again.
Was the ham you bought in plastic wrap or in a oval container with the pull off lid. There are so many different kinds of ham I am never sure what the recipes call for. Thanks, JoAnn
__________________
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Rogers
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 54
We sometimes simmer one of the hams that comes in plastic wrap in 2 or 3 liters of Coca Cola with a couple of unpeeled onion halves thrown in. When it's cooked, we finish it in a hot oven with a molasses and mustard glaze. We saw Nigella do something like this on television.
__________________
"If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris, 'The Beauty of Life', 1880
Veloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
but....but...are you sure this is a Paula recipe? I don't see a couple sticks of butter.
HB- you are so right about Paula and her butter My brother calls her the "butter lady".
__________________
stargazer021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
kyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,181
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce
We sometimes simmer one of the hams that comes in plastic wrap in 2 or 3 liters of Coca Cola with a couple of unpeeled onion halves thrown in. When it's cooked, we finish it in a hot oven with a molasses and mustard glaze. We saw Nigella do something like this on television.
I do this too, this Christmas I added some star anise, cloves, and cardamom pods, about 6 neighbours came to my kitchen door to ask what was cooking, it smelt very festive!
__________________
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
Was the ham you bought in plastic wrap or in a oval container with the pull off lid. There are so many different kinds of ham I am never sure what the recipes call for. Thanks, JoAnn
Unless the recipe calls for a "canned" ham, I think you can usually be pretty sure it is referring to a regular bone in smoked ham. The canned hams are cooked and formed--you can use them straight out of the can. Many of the "plastic wrapped" hams on the bone are also fully cooked but benefit from baking in various recipes such as this.
__________________
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
Was the ham you bought in plastic wrap or in a oval container with the pull off lid. There are so many different kinds of ham I am never sure what the recipes call for. Thanks, JoAnn
JoAnn.......I too get confused and was confused when I went looking for a Cured ham as Paula had noted in her recipe. I didn't see anything noted as Cured. Anyway.....the type I bought and always buy was in a thick plastic.....it has a bone in it......its a ready to cook ham.

Shunka.....I'll have to try it with Dr. Pepper at Easter Time.
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 170
I saw the episode where she made this, it looked great!
__________________

Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.