"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cola Ham

Thought I'd share a recipe that was a hit in my household.

I saw Paula Dean make this on her show and decided I was going to give it a shot myself. Well I pulled up her recipe and just took note of the ingredients and decided to wing it.

I bought a 7.75# ready to cook ham....I put it in a covered roasting pan...I then poured 1 (12 oz) can of Coke over it. I then proceeded to place pineapple rings all over the exposed areas and secured them with toothpicks. In the center of the pineapples I secured marishino cherries with toothpicks. I then cut tiny slits and poked in whole cloves.......probably 15 in all. I then sprinkled brown sugar on all the exposed areas. I then put the lid on the pan and roasted it...........making sure I basted it every 30 minutes.

I have to say this was the best ham I'd ever made before and will definetly be making this again.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Head Chef

I like doing it this way too; but I leave out the brown sugar. I saw Alton use Dr. Pepper and that has been reported as being good too.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

but....but...are you sure this is a Paula recipe? I don't see a couple sticks of butter.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Thought I'd share a recipe that was a hit in my household.

I saw Paula Dean make this on her show and decided I was going to give it a shot myself. Well I pulled up her recipe and just took note of the ingredients and decided to wing it.

I bought a 7.75# ready to cook ham....I put it in a covered roasting pan...I then poured 1 (12 oz) can of Coke over it. I then proceeded to place pineapple rings all over the exposed areas and secured them with toothpicks. In the center of the pineapples I secured marishino cherries with toothpicks. I then cut tiny slits and poked in whole cloves.......probably 15 in all. I then sprinkled brown sugar on all the exposed areas. I then put the lid on the pan and roasted it...........making sure I basted it every 30 minutes.

I have to say this was the best ham I'd ever made before and will definetly be making this again.
Was the ham you bought in plastic wrap or in a oval container with the pull off lid. There are so many different kinds of ham I am never sure what the recipes call for. Thanks, JoAnn
Old 12-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Cook

We sometimes simmer one of the hams that comes in plastic wrap in 2 or 3 liters of Coca Cola with a couple of unpeeled onion halves thrown in. When it's cooked, we finish it in a hot oven with a molasses and mustard glaze. We saw Nigella do something like this on television.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
but....but...are you sure this is a Paula recipe? I don't see a couple sticks of butter.
HB- you are so right about Paula and her butter My brother calls her the "butter lady".
Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce
We sometimes simmer one of the hams that comes in plastic wrap in 2 or 3 liters of Coca Cola with a couple of unpeeled onion halves thrown in. When it's cooked, we finish it in a hot oven with a molasses and mustard glaze. We saw Nigella do something like this on television.
I do this too, this Christmas I added some star anise, cloves, and cardamom pods, about 6 neighbours came to my kitchen door to ask what was cooking, it smelt very festive!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
Was the ham you bought in plastic wrap or in a oval container with the pull off lid. There are so many different kinds of ham I am never sure what the recipes call for. Thanks, JoAnn
Unless the recipe calls for a "canned" ham, I think you can usually be pretty sure it is referring to a regular bone in smoked ham. The canned hams are cooked and formed--you can use them straight out of the can. Many of the "plastic wrapped" hams on the bone are also fully cooked but benefit from baking in various recipes such as this.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L.
JoAnn.......I too get confused and was confused when I went looking for a Cured ham as Paula had noted in her recipe. I didn't see anything noted as Cured. Anyway.....the type I bought and always buy was in a thick plastic.....it has a bone in it......its a ready to cook ham.

Shunka.....I'll have to try it with Dr. Pepper at Easter Time.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I saw the episode where she made this, it looked great!

Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None