"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Precooked bacon is a new thing. It is much more expensive than uncooked. And it comes in small quantities.

It is so easy to cook bacon in the oven that why would they not want to?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
What is "cleaning the oven"??
We have a self-cleaning oven, but I've never turned it on. It gets up to, like, 1000 degrees, and they tell me it smokes your house up something awful. Besides, it has the continuous clean surface, that stuff really doesn't stick to.
Once in a while we wipe the junk out of the bottom, and that's it.

We do, also, put baking sheets under things like cherry pies, that might drip.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Why are restaurants not using precooked bacon?
Precooked bacon is usually an inferior product.

The idea behind dining out is to give you a good meal that you couldn't or didn't care to prepare yourself. Would you be satisfied with precooked chicken? Precooked everything is available to restaurants but if the kitchen has the ability and the equipment then every kitchen will go with a hands on approach.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I believe that because it is cooking the bacon using a 375-400 degree convection heat versus a much higher direct heating mechanism that the drip pan never actually boils or bubbles.. From my experience, there is really no mess other than the drip pan.. And I lay down extra wide Aluminum foil to make clean-up easier..

-Brad
Old 12-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #25
Master Chef

Thanks, everyone!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #26
Master Chef

My mom works as a prep cook and every Wednesday she cooks pans and pans of bacon. I know that she lays the bacon slices on parchment paper and bakes the bacon in the oven just like VeraBlue said. Once they have cooled she lays them between waxed paper and places them in a counter and in the walk-in they go. Cooking the bacon is not her favorite job, but it is better than peeling and cooking potatoes for the potato salad.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Blessed! And being more blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
We have a self-cleaning oven, but I've never turned it on. It gets up to, like, 1000 degrees, and they tell me it smokes your house up something awful. Besides, it has the continuous clean surface, that stuff really doesn't stick to.
Once in a while we wipe the junk out of the bottom, and that's it.

We do, also, put baking sheets under things like cherry pies, that might drip.
Okay Constance, now you did it. This is something I have often wanted but the price is what changed my mind. Is your stove gas? They tell me it doesn't come in gas stove, are they telling me the truth? all these years have had to clean if I do, myself. The fumes of the cleaning product is not good to inhale so it says on the label. How are you supposed to clean the oven without inhaling? That instruction always bothered me.

I am happy for you. You deserve it all the cooking you do. Let me know what kind it is and if you would buy another one like it. Sounds so good to have something 'continous". Sure makes your life different.

If you would share with me what kind of stove you have I would like to get one next time and since you bought one must be best. Thanks Constance
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
That's the way we did it in the Army. No fancy schmany aluminium foil or racks either. Just line them up on these commercial sized baking sheets and stick them in a 400F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Bacon for 200 to 300 troops would take several hours if you were to fry it.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
This guy does some tests to find the "best" way to cook bacon. He even grilled some!!

Part 1 & Part 2
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I had no idea bacon could be baked in the oven!!! This is going to change my life! When all the kids are here for weekends with their friends, SO's, etc., I always do bacon, eggs and pancakes at least once. There's 15 - 20 people and this is something everyone seems to like. BUT, making that much bacon on top of the stove is really messy and dangerous (at least for me - I always burn myself). Plus, it's a scramble to tend to the bacon and the pancakes at the same time. If I put the bacon in 3 hours earlier - thanks for the "cooking for engineers" link, keltin - my kitchen will be alot less hectic and I won't have to buy neosporin by the gallon anymore! I LOVE this forum!!!

Tags
None