Cooking pork chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I was told this morning that in restaurants they brown the pork chops on each side and then put them in a 400 dregree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes to finish cooking them. Has anyone ever heard of this before? This person also said that is how they do their steaks too.

I was told this morning that in restaurants they brown the pork chops on each side and then put them in a 400 dregree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes to finish cooking them. Has anyone ever heard of this before? This person also said that is how they do their steaks too.

Well now, that would depend upon which restaurant! I'm sure some of them do that, and then they are literally killing the pork chops for a second time. 10 to 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven, after browning them first would surely result in dry, overcooked meat.

Are you asking how to cook pork chops -- or querying whether some restaurants may follow the practices you mentioned? :)

Yes, many restaurants cook meat like this., as do home cooks.

But it's a quick, high heat sear and then a quick, high heat finish. More like into an oven at 500 for 5 minutes. 450 at home.

Depends on how thick it is.

Yes. I cook those extra thick chops that way. While I'm browning them on the stovetop, I'm adding different ingredients like sliced onion or apples. Right before I put it in the oven I'll add a little liquid and any ingredient that would burn on the stovetop like brown sugar. Covered, and in an oven until it's done to my liking. Since I had a cover on it, I have some liquid in the pan that I can turn into a sauce while the chops rest.

Yes. I cook those extra thick chops that way. While I'm browning them on the stovetop, I'm adding different ingredients like sliced onion or apples. Right before I put it in the oven I'll add a little liquid and any ingredient that would burn on the stovetop like brown sugar. Covered, and in an oven until it's done to my liking. Since I had a cover on it, I have some liquid in the pan that I can turn into a sauce while the chops rest.

That works fine for extra thick chops... but not for the usual 3/4-inch thick ones. :ohmy:

I realize that overcooking pork is not recommended, but I still cook pork chops the way my mother and grandmother did, and my husband loves them that way (HIS mother cooked them the same way). I flour/season them, and brown them well in a mixture of oil and butter, then lower the heat, add about a cup of liquid, and simmer them for about 45 minutes. The meat falls off the bone and is nice and moist. Makes great gravy to go with the mashed potatoes, too. I just don't like dry, chewy pork chops.

I realize that overcooking pork is not recommended, but I still cook pork chops the way my mother and grandmother did, and my husband loves them that way (HIS mother cooked them the same way). I flour/season them, and brown them well in a mixture of oil and butter, then lower the heat, add about a cup of liquid, and simmer them for about 45 minutes. The meat falls off the bone and is nice and moist. Makes great gravy to go with the mashed potatoes, too. I just don't like dry, chewy pork chops.

Karen, is pork in Mexico as lean as pork in the U.S.? If it's not, i.e., if it's fattier, then braising it would make it tender, like a pot roast. Most U.S. pork chops and roasts have very little fat, so long cooking makes them tough.

I have a recipe for Asian-style pork chops that calls for browning, adding liquid and simmering for about 20 minutes. It's always dry and tough. I now simmer for less than 10 minutes and they're perfect :)

Pork here in Mexico is not as lean as that in the US - I love to cook a pork tenderloin in the oven for about 20-25 minutes and it comes out juicy and tender. Good selection of tasty pork products here; next to chicken, it is probably the most popular meat. Beef? Very lean, not marbled and not so good - probably not grain fed.

ME TOO karen, but the liquid mom put in was red wine with a good shot of crushed black pepper...yummers

kadesma:)

That's some good pork chops!

Back
Top Bottom