Cooking Pork Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pork Ribs

Assistant Cook
Me and my familly have liked pork ribs all our lives. I have picked up a rack from the butchers which are already marinated in a barbecue glaze. I was wondering how I should cook these. I have a slow cooker and I was wondering if this would be a good way to cook them. I want them to come clean off the bone and not 'tough'.

You guys got any tips for me?

Liam

Me and my familly have liked pork ribs all our lives. I have picked up a rack from the butchers which are already marinated in a barbecue glaze. I was wondering how I should cook these. I have a slow cooker and I was wondering if this would be a good way to cook them. I want them to come clean off the bone and not 'tough'.

You guys got any tips for me?

Liam

If they have been glazed or sauced, have they been precooked? If not I would foil them and cook them in the oven. I certainly would not try grilling them as the glaze would surely burn even if you used an indirect cooking method. Couldn't tell you about crockpots as we don't use them.

It sounds like you are not after the traditional BBQ pork ribs smoke low and slow for about 4 to 6 hours like these.
img_1178985_0_d634461d85e551b9afc9ae7327e09741.jpg

I guess now that you already marinated the ribs in sauce, I would recommend you cook them as Roast Pork Ribs.:)

Are there any instructions on the package? If they are pre-cooked they just need to be heated. If not, I would wrap them in foil, stick them in the oven, checking them every now and then to see if the meat is pulling away from the bone. When that happens, off goes the foil, up goes the temp, and let the edges crisp up. Maybe you could call the butcher shop and ask the butcher what his plan of attack would be.

While I've never done ribs in the CP, I don't see why you couldn't, precooked or not. They would certainly be moist and fall off the bone.

Aha! Just had a peek in my fave slow cooker book, there are 8 recipes for CP pork ribs.

Last edited:
Before you start to cook the ribs, whether slow cooker or oven-- Look at the meat/ bones. They are even with each other on the edges. Cook them on low CP or low oven, foiled, at 250-275. If in the oven, you could put them in a roaster pan or 9x 13 inch pan and just seal the top with foil. At least two hours. Check them. Re wrap. They should be releasing some juices. If they are laying in a lot of juice, you could pour that off at hour 1 and hour 2. I don't know about a crock pot. I know it will collect juice/ melted fat as well. Maybe at about hour 3 When you start to see the Meat pull back from the Bone, about 1/2- 1 inch, ( that is, the meat/ bones are no longer even with each other), they should start to feel tender now. With an oven mitt, try wiggle a bone. If it gives or pulls, remove the foil, and turn up the heat, or turn on the grill to crisp them up until the bbq sauce glazes. Paint some of your own sauce on as well with the back of a spoon for a 2nd coat.

Personally, I don't cut the ribs into individual pieces until serving. You may want to/ need to cut the ribs in half to fit your cooking pan.

2ndly, I don't usually buy pre sauced anything, as I like to use my own home-made or favorite flavor bottle sauce, not what the market is necessarily promoting. In general terms, is is usually better to bbq the meat first, whether marinated, rubbed, on plain with just a little S&P and perhaps garlic first, then sauce added the last 15 minutes or so to "finish" the cook. Well, I have seen packages like yours. I can not say that they are pre-cooked or just pre- sauced. I hope this turns out to be a fine meal for you. :yum:

Ribs only go on the smoker. Very very light coating of yellow mustard followed by a liberal coating of dry rub, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the 'frige overnight. Smoke them at 215-220*F for ~6 hours but you can only tell they're done when they fall off the bone. I like to lightly spray them with filtered apple cider every hour or so. Sauce ONLY goes on at the table, if at all. YMMV.

Last edited:
No ring, but smoke flavor, of course. After braising, over the coals, with lid on, low temp, with a few wood chips for an hour, or so. My family prefers the result with this method. Not saying one is better than the other. I know I will never convince you smoker guys. I have a couple of smokers myself. Just letting the OP know that there are many ways to skin a cat.....plus, a little easier for a beginner.....

Last edited:
I have seen these types of packages of ribs in the market. I am not sure whether they just need just heating or cooking. I reckon they are supposed to be a time saver. I have never tried them but I can imagine there is a lot of room for error if the package directions are not followed. The crock pot is, in my opinion, the most forgiving path under these circumstances. I hope they turn out to be delicious!!

RockLob..would you Please, pretty please, share your recipe?

I love pork ribs, but often the Heavy Smoke flavor is a bit too much for my Tummy..

I have tried several recipes in the oven..

and own a Gas Grill, but no smoker..

For the OP. I find that if one only uses a slow cooker (CP), The ribs are very tender, but also very Wet and Greasy, as there is never enough heat to melt off the fat..

I think they are OK that way, but I'm looking for a better method..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Love my smoker ribs, but, I would put my two-step braise/bbq racks up against anybody's....
Braise in the slow cooker, and then onto the covered kettle, over a drip pan, with a divided bed of coals, covered by tag-alder, apple, or maple wood. Cook for thirty minutes in the smoke.

This is how I make my ribs too; and yes, I always massage the dry rub on them and let sit at least 4 hours before the cooking starts.

In answer to SavanahSmoker's question: No, you don't get the smoke ring, but you get all the flavor of ribs cooked slow and easy, and mopped. It's easier, and I don't have a smoker. But the ribs are still gorgeous, and yummy, juicy, and fall off the bone tender.

If there's one thing I really detest about eating ribs, it's eating them when they are dry and tough. That's how they always are at most restaurants, especially if they are on a buffet.

My ribs have gotten praise from people who swore that the ribs from their state (North Carolina) were the best ribs, period. After having some of my ribs, these same folks said that mine were the best they'd ever eaten. SavannahSmoker, personally, I thing your ribs look amazing, and I would love to be able to try them. I bet they taste as good as they look.

We don't all have access to the proper equipment to smoke ribs. Sometimes, we have to use other techniques. My point is, whether you live in a New York apartment, or out in the sticks, or in the suburbs with all the toys, you can enjoy great ribs. You just have to be willing to try.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Preheat oven to 300F.

Place a large sheet of aluminium foil on the counter, one for each slab of ribs. Place a sheet of parchment paper on each sheet of aluminium foil. Place a slab of ribs on each and wrap tightly. Place the packets on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven for 2 hours.

Unwrap the packets and grill the ribs on a barbecue grill or under the oven broiler, meaty side towards the heat source, for about 10 minutes, until sauce is bubbly.

I use a flat roasting pan and use 1 part tomato juice and 1 part water and some seasoning. I use Montreal steak spice, throw a few garlic cloves in there. You can use whatever you like to get whatever flavors you want. Rub them first if you wish. Probably even better. I make sure the ribs are a quarter to half way submerged in liquid. Cover tightly with foil and don't open. I have used beer, half cup of water to half cup of ketchup(which is really good, actually), cardamom pods, coriander seeds, cumin seeds. Slowly cook these for an hour or more at 300, depending on the size. Too long and they will start to fall apart.
Next step is to put them on the bbq, on low heat over the coals, with the lid on as much as possible, and let them get a bit smokey from throwing a few chips in there. You can use a propane grill (on low) if that is what you have. I have a small woodchip box or you can make a chip packet out of tinfoil and place it down on the burner. Or, you can just use liquid smoke in the sauce, if that is what you want to do. Then I start to sauce. Flip. Sauce. Flip. About every 10 minutes.I like to go for a long time until the sauce starts to form a glaze. I usually go about another hour. The longer you go, the thicker the sauce glaze becomes.

I like my ribs falling off the bone. I guess that's why I like this method.

By the way, Savannah Smoker, your ribs look awesome.

Last edited:
Giggler, you can use your gas grill to smoke meat too. It is a little difficult keeping the heat low enough, but it can be done. We have a little smoker box that we fill with soaked wood chips and put in the flame. You need to have more than one burner so you can have the flame away from the meat. Put a drip pan under the meat. It works pretty well. Then try a dry rub like the BBQ pitmasters.

Back
Top Bottom