"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking Pork Ribs

Me and my familly have liked pork ribs all our lives. I have picked up a rack from the butchers which are already marinated in a barbecue glaze. I was wondering how I should cook these. I have a slow cooker and I was wondering if this would be a good way to cook them. I want them to come clean off the bone and not 'tough'.

You guys got any tips for me?

Liam

Old 08-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Ribs View Post
Me and my familly have liked pork ribs all our lives. I have picked up a rack from the butchers which are already marinated in a barbecue glaze. I was wondering how I should cook these. I have a slow cooker and I was wondering if this would be a good way to cook them. I want them to come clean off the bone and not 'tough'.

You guys got any tips for me?

Liam
If they have been glazed or sauced, have they been precooked? If not I would foil them and cook them in the oven. I certainly would not try grilling them as the glaze would surely burn even if you used an indirect cooking method. Couldn't tell you about crockpots as we don't use them.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook

It sounds like you are not after the traditional BBQ pork ribs smoke low and slow for about 4 to 6 hours like these.

I guess now that you already marinated the ribs in sauce, I would recommend you cook them as Roast Pork Ribs.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Are there any instructions on the package? If they are pre-cooked they just need to be heated. If not, I would wrap them in foil, stick them in the oven, checking them every now and then to see if the meat is pulling away from the bone. When that happens, off goes the foil, up goes the temp, and let the edges crisp up. Maybe you could call the butcher shop and ask the butcher what his plan of attack would be.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

While I've never done ribs in the CP, I don't see why you couldn't, precooked or not. They would certainly be moist and fall off the bone.

Aha! Just had a peek in my fave slow cooker book, there are 8 recipes for CP pork ribs.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Before you start to cook the ribs, whether slow cooker or oven-- Look at the meat/ bones. They are even with each other on the edges. Cook them on low CP or low oven, foiled, at 250-275. If in the oven, you could put them in a roaster pan or 9x 13 inch pan and just seal the top with foil. At least two hours. Check them. Re wrap. They should be releasing some juices. If they are laying in a lot of juice, you could pour that off at hour 1 and hour 2. I don't know about a crock pot. I know it will collect juice/ melted fat as well. Maybe at about hour 3 When you start to see the Meat pull back from the Bone, about 1/2- 1 inch, ( that is, the meat/ bones are no longer even with each other), they should start to feel tender now. With an oven mitt, try wiggle a bone. If it gives or pulls, remove the foil, and turn up the heat, or turn on the grill to crisp them up until the bbq sauce glazes. Paint some of your own sauce on as well with the back of a spoon for a 2nd coat.

Personally, I don't cut the ribs into individual pieces until serving. You may want to/ need to cut the ribs in half to fit your cooking pan.

2ndly, I don't usually buy pre sauced anything, as I like to use my own home-made or favorite flavor bottle sauce, not what the market is necessarily promoting. In general terms, is is usually better to bbq the meat first, whether marinated, rubbed, on plain with just a little S&P and perhaps garlic first, then sauce added the last 15 minutes or so to "finish" the cook. Well, I have seen packages like yours. I can not say that they are pre-cooked or just pre- sauced. I hope this turns out to be a fine meal for you.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Ribs only go on the smoker. Very very light coating of yellow mustard followed by a liberal coating of dry rub, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the 'frige overnight. Smoke them at 215-220*F for ~6 hours but you can only tell they're done when they fall off the bone. I like to lightly spray them with filtered apple cider every hour or so. Sauce ONLY goes on at the table, if at all. YMMV.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Ribs only go on the smoker. YMMV.
Love my smoker ribs, but, I would put my two-step braise/bbq racks up against anybody's....
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Love my smoker ribs, but, I would put my two-step braise/bbq racks up against anybody's....
The braised ribs sound great but do you get the smoke flavor and smoke ring in them?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Executive Chef

No ring, but smoke flavor, of course. After braising, over the coals, with lid on, low temp, with a few wood chips for an hour, or so. My family prefers the result with this method. Not saying one is better than the other. I know I will never convince you smoker guys. I have a couple of smokers myself. Just letting the OP know that there are many ways to skin a cat.....plus, a little easier for a beginner.....

Tags
cooking, pork