Cooking Pork Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Have been having a read through some of the posts re cooking spare ribs and have seen the debate wether to par boil or not. One of the staple meals in Ireland is boiled ribs with cabbage (on to bacon and cabbage), but have seen post here saying to never ever boil.

My question is that i have always been told that you have to boil ribs to get rid of the salty taste, is this right? Is it true for just spare ribs? Even if i'm doing them on the bbq (on the one fine summer day we get in Ireland) i alway boil them up for at least an hour and then into the oven for a further hour?

Would they really not be too salty to eat if i didn't par boil?​

Spare Ribs in my part of the world...Deep South USA....are not a "salted" product so no par-boiling is required to remove salt....Is the product you have salted or what?

No, its not salty, straight from the pig via the butcher, but know when we boil a bacon or ham piece we throw off the first "boiled water" that goes all "scummy" (for want of a better word!!), to reduce the "salty" taste in the finished product, so presumed that was the same reason with the spare ribs!

Then I would say no..you do not need to par-boil to remove salt from the spare ribs.

Bacon/Salt pork....Ham/Dry cured ham is "cured" with a salt process...and can be salty depending on ones personal taste...

I also am strongly in the "Do Not Boil" Spare Ribs Camp...To much flavor is lost, and I personally just don't like the taste of the meat....One bite, and I can spot a boiled rib!
NO Thank you for me...

I have an amazing recipe for ribs in a slow cooker. No boiling needed, but a broil is.

If you want it let me know. It's easy!

Many thanks Uncle Bob, will bow to your expertise and since its a bank holiday in Ireland this weekend will put them into the oven for 5/6 hours on Monday! Looking forward to them already. :chef:

Your very Welcome....If cooked uncovered..(IMO better) then you may want to baste them every 20-30 minutes or so...If covered then you want neccessarily have to..

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom