Cooking pulled pork in a crock pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonoran480

Assistant Cook
I've been reading a lot of contradicting things about cooking pulled pork in a crock pot. Half the recipes I read, say that after the meat is cooked and pulled apart, you need to mix in the bbq sauce then slow cook it for another 1-3 hours.

the other recipes just say to shred the meat after its done and just pour some bbq sauce on top of it when its served.

Does anyone have some advise or tips on how they do it?
and feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.. but do you just pour some ontop of the pork afterwards or do you mix it in and let it slow cook for another hour??

Depends on how "raw" your sauce is - if home-made, you may want to cook it a little before slathering it on the meat - jarrred sauces should be fine as is, just combine with the meat to reach desired heat. An hour sounds like too much time to me.

When it is completely cooked and shredded, just mix in the sauce and heat up.

I also use the cooking liquid (defatted).

Even if I'm using store-bought sauce, I'll add spices to it and then let it heat up for about an hour after adding it to the meat. The main thing that I've found though is that I make my pulled pork the day before and let it sit overnight, then reheat it for a couple of hours the next day. All of the flavor has time to combine and really get into the meat that way.

It depends on what part of the country you are in. In the Carolinas the sauce is added at the table by the person eating the pulled pork on her/his plate. Maybe in TN it is mixed in.
But BUT, I URGE you to try making the pork IN THE OVEN (at least) by cooking it at 250* for 8 hours. A wonderful burnt crust will make the whole dish SO much better.
BBQ is vey much a regional dish. In Texas it isn't pork of course, but brisket--and the sauce is definitely served on the side at the table.
Also the sauce depends on where you are. In eastern NC the BBQ "sauce" is vinegar with a little sugar and a LOT of either black pepper or red pepper. In western NC the sauce is a thinnish tomato based sauce. I make my own sauce, but if you use commercial store bought sauce, dilute it by half with cider vinegar.

Sonoran... I love pulled pork, I cook in the crock pot sometimes. If you have the equipment though- forget the pot and smoke it... that is the only authentic way.

But, if you need/want to do the crock pot it works well- unfortunately no smoke flavor, (and I do not like Liquid Smoke.)
It has been recommended that you make the cooking liquid in your crock pot of half BBQ sauce, and half Vinegar. This works well. When done, pull it apart and add more sauce if you want more.

Basically of course it is up to your taste. There is no absolutely correct answer to your question- it is all preference.

Nothing can beat a slow smoked pork butt for pulled pork. But here is a quick & easy "BBQ Pork" recipe that is very tasty. Just remember, comparing the two methods is like comparing apples and oranges...they're just not the same thing.

Rub a boneless pork loin with Southwest Seasoning or your own mixture of spices. Put in crockpot with a beer...any kind. Cook on low until meat is falling apart. Remove and shred meat, then return to the pot and add your favorite bottled BBQ sauce (I like Maull's for this) to the juices in the pot. Depending on how much meat you have, you may want to add a whole small bottle.
The mixture should be very juicy. Add water if necessary.
Cook in pot for another hour, then serve on buns. I like a dollap of good vinegar slaw right on top of my pork.

This was a family favorite when I was working and had kids to feed. I was the only one who liked slaw, so I used to just pick up a small carton at the deli.

The pork loin works in this because you are braising it in liquid, but for real pulled pork get the butt/shoulder/picnic (NOT the ham). The loin is too lean to do in the oven or a smoker however.
To get the smoke flavor, smoke for just part of the time--3-4 hours and then finish in the low 250* oven for another 4 or 5 hours.

People here seem to like food stories, so I'll tell you one about pulled pork.

I was sitting in my living room in Hawaii. My parents were visiting. I got a call. "I can't stand it any more!!! Claire, you have to take some boar!!" Her husband showed up 5 minutes later with a half a boar he'd shot. Still warm. I chopped it in half, and threw it in the freezer. Later I stuck it in the crock pot with onions and garlic, S&P, a few chili flakes, covered with water and wine. When it was tender, shredded, boned, I added whatever was the BBQ sauce I liked (I really don't like BBQ sauce much, so there wasn't a lot of it) and put out rolls. Slaw. Yumm. Actually, I had a weber, and I must have at least put it on the coals for a little bit and then boned it and put it in the crock pot. Surely even a small boar's quarter wouldn't fit in the pot?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom