Cooking time for TWO roasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I wanted a nice 4-5 lb pork shoulder for my new grill rotisserie smoker. Butcher gave BF two 2.5 shoulders instead. So, will they take half the time to cook on the spit side-by-side? Or do I still figure on 1.5 hours per pound?

Thanks!

i would say yes .. i am assuming though you are going to keep the temps
fairly low around 225 ...

Yes I plan to roast around 225 degrees until it is heated through enough for pulling (190 based on other DC threads).

It just seems to me that I should base the cooking time on 2.5 lbs instead of 5 lb since the meat won't be as thick. It will be stretched across the rotis, in a way. Does anyone know for sure?

Not sure if you can cut it in hqalf exactly. Let the internal temperature be the deciding factor. Start with half the time and check the temp. Then go from there.

I aim for a little higher temp - around 200 F.

Pork butts can't tell time!:LOL: Seriously...take your watch off!!!....Use a thermometer to determine when they are done...

Sliceable...180*
Sliceable & Pullable 185*
Pullable...190-195*

As you move towards 200* and over the meat may start to become "mushy" with almost no resistence to the tooth...Personally, being a carnivore, I like tender with just a little resistence...In fact I pay extra for it.

If you are up against a service time...I always allow myself anywhere between 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours per pound....

Enjoy!

Edit...Typo

Last edited:
Important follow-up question...

I cannot get the temp over 140 degrees. After 6 hours on the grill rotisserie, I brought it inside (swiftly) to finish roasting in a preheated 235 degree oven. The temp actually DROPPED after an hour in the oven from 160 to 140. Now it's stuck at 140. Any advice?

Thanks again!

That's not unusual. Perservere and the temp will climb back up and continue to the target temp.

That's not unusual. Perservere and the temp will climb back up and continue to the target temp.

All right, Andy. You're the best- Thanks for sticking by me through the pork roast!

I couldn't wait any longer to get the roast up to temp. Per Bob's chart I went with "sliceable" at 180 degrees so that my guests could eat. This was my first time using the new grill and I don't think the hood thermometer works correctly. I couldn't get the hood temp below 300, but when I put the oven thermometer in there, it said 100 degrees! I don't know if one was right or both were wrong, but the first few hours were touch-and-go temp-wise. That's why I moved it into the oven eventually.

Still tasted great sliced, though! Thanks for everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom