Country style pork ribs; whats the best way to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
we've got a package of these in fridge and need some quick tips. We just did a chinese style pork ribs w/ orange peel so I dont want to do that again, any other recipes, cooking suggestions would be appreciated.

Bake, broil or braise ..... I love these things!

BROIL: season with salt/pepper, or coat with BBQ sauce, and broil about 8-12 inches from the broiler.

BAKE: 350-F oven, coat with BBQ sauce, or put in a baking dish and cover with a simple tomatoe sauce, or such.

BRAISE: Heat a pan and sear, then add pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut ... you can add a peeled and diced green apple, and/or rasins, cover pan and cook over low heat until done. Add liguid as necessary to keep from drying out. A splash of a white German wine is nice. Remove lid for last 10-15 minutes cooking to evaporate liquid.

Try it with garlic, black bean sauce (preferably Lee Kum Kee brand) and a little thick soy sauce w/ a small splash of water in a clay pot if you have, if not, just a regular pot. Put it on the stove top and cook. Season to taste w/ salt & pepper

Country-style-ribs, like most pork, go great with most fruits, with cloves, allspice, with savory flavors such as sage, roemary, thyme, pepper, salt, with sweet flavors such as sugar, brown sugar, mollasses, etc. They are great grilled over an open fire, or covered and smoked. The country style spare ribs are so very versatile. I've even had them marinated in root beer. They were pretty good, but I wouldn't do that. I've also heard of people marinating them in Coke.

My favorite way to have them is grilled over a solid bed of hot charcoal, with just salt and pepper. Cover and cook, turning every few minutes until browned on all sides. You can drizzle pineapple juice over them for added flavor.

They are also fabulous when browned and finnnished in a pot of baked beans with mollasses, sweetener, and onion, and oh, don't forget a touch of prepared yellow mustard. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I HAVE had them with black bean sauce. Well I used to stir fry and bake them all the time that way.

Instead, the other day my wife did a homemade BBQ sauce with cumin and cloves. It was reminiscent of curry flavor but still remained an american bbq taste.

I like them the way Goodweed does. SAlt, Pepper, maybe some garlic powder and grill them until well browned and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. I think I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow night. :)

I made a dish recently where I marinated them, then braised them in the marinade, and then finally browned them in a pan. The reduced braising liquid became a sauce. It was a fillipino style dish which also used chicken thighs. The recipe came from "All about Braising" by Molly Stephens.

whats the trick to getting ribs to be tender.......I've given up trying to prepare these because they turn out to be too tough. The one time I did get them tender (cooked in the slow cooker) they were way too tender and the meat just crumbled. :cry:

The trick to getting them tender is to slow cook them over coals/low heat.

As with all meats, overcooking will make them tough. But as Rainee said, slow cooking over charcoal, and basting frequently will give you moist and tender results as the heat will break down the meat fiber. They also come out very tender when cooked in a pressure cooker.

But from what I'm hearing from you, you don't want the ribs to fall off the bone and fall apart. You'd rather have a chunk of meat that eats like a good pork chop, but moist and tender.

For that Soak your ribs in a brine solution overnight and place above a solid bed of charcoal, or under the broiler. Cook for about four minutes per side and remove from the heat source. Serve with your favorite sauce. The meat will not be overcooked and will be more tender than if cooked straight from the package.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

actually what I hear from him is that he OVERCOOKED them (probably a crock pot on a high setting) the meat sort of marbled, or lost that texture whatever, and in the process fell off the bone.

THe meat is supposed to come off the bone. I mean, correct? I assume the guy with the question knows that. Or does he?

SO I take it to mean, he says the meat is coming off the bone AND it's horrible texture etc. Not the best writing style, in my opinion. Or at least that is what it seems to me.

What are you saying anyway?

Ribs falling off the bone are overcooked. A rib should have a slight tug to it when you bite it.

Country style ribs are'nt really ribs at all, but a butt cut in strips. we refer to them as butt chunks. 8)

Ribs

[quote The one time I did get them tender (cooked in the slow cooker) they were way too tender and the meat just crumbled. :cry:[/quote]

One of my favorite dishes :D y
Brown them off in a pressure cooker I usualy only do 5 ribs in a 6 qt. cooker, season with salt and pepper, dump in a jar of Classens Sauerkraut a couple potatoes, quarted, 1/2 Cup water with 1/2 of the sauerkraut juice. Seal and only cook 12 min with the regulator rocking gently. Let pressure go down on it's own.
Yes, the meat does sometimes fall off the bones but very tasty. :D

BTW I got a new Presto Pressure cooker for my place in Nevada and it has a safety seal - lock or something in the handel, similar to the safety plug in the lid. I don't like it! It takea about twice as long to build up a head of pressure as my old one dies.
Does any one know how I could disable this seal?

Charlie

Well, Hungry - unless you have a death wish I wouldn't monkey with the seal, and would follow the instructions that came with it. At the worst you could cause it to not seal properly and never build up the proper pressure - on the other hand ... <<< BOOM >>> :(

If you're trying to compare a pressure cooker you use at home in So. Cal and one in NV ... what is the altitude difference? The problem might not be the pot - it might be the altitude (atmospheric pressure).

[quoteIf you're trying to compare a pressure cooker you use at home in So. Cal and one in NV ... what is the altitude difference? The problem might not be the pot - it might be the altitude (atmospheric pressure).[/quote]

I think you have the answer! I have been comparing the cookers and should compare the elevation. Here I'm at sea level. In Nevada I'm at 6.500 ft. Water boils there at 192F. by my thermometer.
But, if it's boiling isn't it building pressure :?:

If I would disable the pressure valve (lock) in the handel I think the one in the lid would serve as a safety device. This vent in the lid is some sort of a lock to prevent the lid being removed when there is pressure in the pot.
My main conceren is, what it the is extra 20 minutes doing to my over all cooking time :?: You don't start the cooking time until the regulator starts to rock.

This cooking and baking at 6,500 ft, can be a challenge.

Thanks for your response.

Charlie

Water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes. It isn't the boiling water that creates the pressure, but the added energy applied to the air and water molecules in the pan. As the water turns to vapor, it isn't as dense and so requires more space. Even so, if the air wasn't getting hotter, then its molecules woouldn't be striking the container surface molecules with more force (pressure). The reason that pressure cookers work is that the increasing internal pressure, caused by heating and trapping the air, results in the water requiring more heat to boil. This allows the internal atmosphere of the cooker to get hotter than would be possible in a regular covered pan. And the additional pressure tends to keep the food juices in place better. Teh hotter water and steam also leach nutrients from bone and marrow quicker because of the increased molecular energy as well.

In essence, you cook at a higher temperature with less chance of burning the food. Foods react accordingly.

And don't mess with the safety devices. You are guessing and could wind up seriously injured or worse. I have suffered a major burn once during my lifetime (not from cooking), and suffered in agony for months, many months. Take it from me, it's not worth the risk.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the information on pressure cookers. I've never had it expalned in such detail.

I checked the Presto web site and the vent in the handle is a safety lock to prevent the hnadle from being opened when there is pressure in the cooker.
I never remove the lid until I see the blow out plug in the lid is down and remove the regulator.

Thanks again,
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom