"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Country style pork ribs; whats the best way to cook?

we've got a package of these in fridge and need some quick tips. We just did a chinese style pork ribs w/ orange peel so I dont want to do that again, any other recipes, cooking suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Master Chef

Bake, broil or braise ..... I love these things!

BROIL: season with salt/pepper, or coat with BBQ sauce, and broil about 8-12 inches from the broiler.

BAKE: 350-F oven, coat with BBQ sauce, or put in a baking dish and cover with a simple tomatoe sauce, or such.

BRAISE: Heat a pan and sear, then add pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut ... you can add a peeled and diced green apple, and/or rasins, cover pan and cook over low heat until done. Add liguid as necessary to keep from drying out. A splash of a white German wine is nice. Remove lid for last 10-15 minutes cooking to evaporate liquid.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Head Chef

Try it with garlic, black bean sauce (preferably Lee Kum Kee brand) and a little thick soy sauce w/ a small splash of water in a clay pot if you have, if not, just a regular pot. Put it on the stove top and cook. Season to taste w/ salt & pepper
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

Country-style-ribs, like most pork, go great with most fruits, with cloves, allspice, with savory flavors such as sage, roemary, thyme, pepper, salt, with sweet flavors such as sugar, brown sugar, mollasses, etc. They are great grilled over an open fire, or covered and smoked. The country style spare ribs are so very versatile. I've even had them marinated in root beer. They were pretty good, but I wouldn't do that. I've also heard of people marinating them in Coke.

My favorite way to have them is grilled over a solid bed of hot charcoal, with just salt and pepper. Cover and cook, turning every few minutes until browned on all sides. You can drizzle pineapple juice over them for added flavor.

They are also fabulous when browned and finnnished in a pot of baked beans with mollasses, sweetener, and onion, and oh, don't forget a touch of prepared yellow mustard. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I HAVE had them with black bean sauce. Well I used to stir fry and bake them all the time that way.

Instead, the other day my wife did a homemade BBQ sauce with cumin and cloves. It was reminiscent of curry flavor but still remained an american bbq taste.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
Head Chef

I like them the way Goodweed does. SAlt, Pepper, maybe some garlic powder and grill them until well browned and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. I think I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow night. :)
Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I made a dish recently where I marinated them, then braised them in the marinade, and then finally browned them in a pan. The reduced braising liquid became a sauce. It was a fillipino style dish which also used chicken thighs. The recipe came from "All about Braising" by Molly Stephens.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
Master Chef

whats the trick to getting ribs to be tender.......I've given up trying to prepare these because they turn out to be too tough. The one time I did get them tender (cooked in the slow cooker) they were way too tender and the meat just crumbled.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #9
Executive Chef

The trick to getting them tender is to slow cook them over coals/low heat.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

As with all meats, overcooking will make them tough. But as Rainee said, slow cooking over charcoal, and basting frequently will give you moist and tender results as the heat will break down the meat fiber. They also come out very tender when cooked in a pressure cooker.

But from what I'm hearing from you, you don't want the ribs to fall off the bone and fall apart. You'd rather have a chunk of meat that eats like a good pork chop, but moist and tender.

For that Soak your ribs in a brine solution overnight and place above a solid bed of charcoal, or under the broiler. Cook for about four minutes per side and remove from the heat source. Serve with your favorite sauce. The meat will not be overcooked and will be more tender than if cooked straight from the package.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None