"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
"Country Style Ribs" created from the boston butt, and labeled as Country Style Ribs are a grocer/retailer term not a cut of pork. Obviously they are not ribs! A true Country Style rib is prepared form the blade end of a bone-in pork loin and shall consist of not less than three or more than six ribs. So what do you have...a true Country Style Rib or a created rib cut from the boston butt??????? That will determine your method of cooking.

Spare ribs are another story. Slow, low temperature cooking to 190* is (one) good method.

The "Created" from the Boston Butt "ribs" benefit from the same method(s) as whole boston butts...Again low and slow. Obviously the time will be less for faux "ribs" due the portion size.

If you have true Country Style Ribs then either way... broiling/grilling will work. Look for 145-150* Also you can BBQ slowly...225* for 2 to 4 hours. Both methods will work..I personally prefer cookingl them on the BBQ to the 145-150* range being careful not to dry the meat out!

Enjoy!
Thanks Bob.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

You're Welcome!!!

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I usually cook 4-5 country style ribs and I'm sure it wasn't for longer than 1-1/2 hours at 300. Maybe closer to an hour. Season, in a glass pan with a little bit of water and a lid..... good stuff. The water evaporates out by that time and is replaced with juice. They brown up nicely. I don't think I cook any meat up to 200F, but that's just me.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I think I'll try pacanis' method with the first batch. Then sauce after they reach 150 or so. 4-5 is what I was thinking in a 9X9 glass dish covered with heavy foil.

I'll report back
Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

UB, can you tell which ones mine are from looking? I'm curious now if they are true country style or created. You have taught me something here... again I take it the ones cut from the butt are called ribs because of the shape then?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Cook

"Country style ribs" are indeed simply sliced from the shoulder (boston butt) as is a pork steak. I typically either indirect grill or smoke mine to 160. If they have enough mass, you could try to go for the 190-200 range for pulled pork as at those temps, provided they are achieved "low and slow" will lead to a breaking down of the connective tissue.

This one was smoked in my Big Green Egg:

It took a little over two hours at 250 or so dome temp.

This one was done in my Weber kettle grill done indirectly:

It took around an hour. The temp was probably 325 to 350.

Both of my submissions above came from a Publix meat market and are their "Greenwise" line. A local butcher shop cuts them a bit longer and flatter.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
UB, can you tell which ones mine are from looking? I'm curious now if they are true country style or created. You have taught me something here... again I take it the ones cut from the butt are called ribs because of the shape then?
Based on shape alone, they appear to be "ribs" cut from a boston butt.
Faux "ribs" cut from the butt are a marketing tool used by retailers to increase profits! Next time you see whole "Boston Butts' advertised in your grocery ad look to see if they also advertise "Pork Steak"s (A sliced Boston Butt) You may also see "Country Style Ribs" (A pork steak cut into strips)
It works like this to the retailer....Boston Butts 99 cents per lb. Pork Steaks $1.39 per lb. Country Style Ribs $1.69 per pound. The object is to sell some "steaks" and "ribs" at a higher profit margin to help off set the lower margin on the whole butt!! In the meat case they may even be merchandised in very close proximity to each other. Boston Butts, Pork Steak, and (faux) Country Style Ribs are part and parcel the same piece of meat. Cooked properly all three can be melt-in-you-mouth tender!!

Blue Skies & Enjoy!!!

Edit...I can't spell. Grrrrrrr!!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting.
I've been meaning to switch to the butcher I got my chuck beef from as they raise pork, too. They're probably not as "marketing savvy" as the local Giant Eagle is..... hopefully more honest so someone like me gets the cut they think they are buying.
I've got some other pork in the freezer called "boneless country ribs". I guess I should consider myself lucky if they at least come from a pig

And "blue skies" to you to!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacanis
I've got some other pork in the freezer called "boneless country ribs".
"Boneless Ribs" ..Is that what they call an oxymoron???

Actually, I have seen, bought, and eaten these. Not sure what you have in your freezer, but they could be boned out from the true Country Style Rib (loin) section. Take a look...if they look like pork chop meat (loin) with maybe some darker red on one end (shoulder) then that's what they are. Rather than cut the true Country Style Rib...they bone it out as "Boneless Ribs" Again for sales and profit. Oh often times the left over 6 bones with a few addtional ones attached you will see in your meat case as "Baby Back Ribs" ... Ah ha! The plot thickens!!!

I sure hope Mozart got his answer(s) because we sure are off topic!!!!

A Thousand pardons!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
"Boneless Ribs" ..Is that what they call an oxymoron???

Actually, I have seen, bought, and eaten these. Not sure what you have in your freezer, but they could be boned out from the true Country Style Rib (loin) section. Take a look...if they look like pork chop meat (loin) with maybe some darker red on one end (shoulder) then that's what they are. Rather than cut the true Country Style Rib...they bone it out as "Boneless Ribs" Again for sales and profit. Oh often times the left over 6 bones with a few additional ones attached you will see in your meat case as "Baby Back Ribs" ... Ah ha! The plot thickens!!!

I sure hope Mozart got his answer(s) because we sure are off topic!!!!

A Thousand pardons!!!
Got my answers and the "ribs" is cooking, and not off topic at all.

I guess since I paid $.99 and they had pork butts also for $.99, that my grocer may be unethical, but to stupid to gain from it
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yum, mozart. I love country-style ribs. One of my family's favorite ways to eat them is to brown them up nice and add them to our spaghetti sauce recipe. They give the sauce a great flavor and are so tender when done. I like them better than meatballs.
What a great idea, Katie!

I'd love them with sauerkraut, but my husband hates and detests kraut.

Tags
None