"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Head Chef

Crown Roast

I have had a crown roast of pork in my freezer since mid January. I know I'd better do something with it. Think it will be okay to roast this weekend for guests?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Head Chef

Should be fine as long as there is no freezer burn.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes. Make sure you allow a couple of days for it to defrost in the fridge.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

It should be fine. Be careful with it. You might want to put it into a brine solution as it thaws. Crown Roast of pork needs to have the chine bones removed, and the rib bones frenched. After that, be carefull not to overcook because it can quickly turn into a dry, and tough piece of pork.

Stuff the area on top of the curled meat with either a savory, or fruity stuffing. Although, if brined with ginger, soy sauce, and brown sugar, you could go with a fried rice kind of stuffing.

Most of all, present it beautifully and enjoy. You know my avatar, it's a crown roast of pork that I made and was very proud of. Done right, a crown roast of pork is dramatic, and delicious. It will make you the envy of every cook you know.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

The roast was already formed into a crown when I purchased it. it is about 4 1/2 pounds..hopefully enough for 4 people. should I stuff it or bake the stuffing on the side then stuff it for presentation? Also how long to cook it? The only recipe I could find called for a 9 pound roast!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Try this one: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...nions-51193660
Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Head Chef

I would cook the stuffing on the side (especially if you brine it). You won't have to cook the pork so long that way. I'd also agree with Chief about the brining, though I don't know about as it thaws. We usually only brine for 4 hours max, otherwise it tends to be too salty for us.

For six 1 to 1-1/4 inch chops we use

2 cups water
2 cups beer or apple cider
1/3 cup salt
3 tblsp brown sugar
3 tblsp molasses (I've been known to leave this out and increase BS a bit)
1 cup ice cubes

Sometimes I'll throw in some crushed garlic gloves or thyme or sage or rosemary, whatever goes with the flavor profile of the sides we are having. This is NOT a set recipe as far as flavorings go, or even the use of alcoholic beverages, you could use all water or say apple juice instead of the beer or cider.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with medtran about cooking the stuffing separately. Put it in the crown roast right before serving.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

Shoot for an internal temp of 145 to no more than 150 with this roast. Also, remember to let it rest, and that the internal temp will rise by about 5 degrees. The meat is the star and it should be juicy and tender, and well flavored, i.e. S&P, garlic, whatever herbs and spices you want, or fruit.

Also, if adding an acidic ingredient, you are making a marinade rather than a brine. The marinade doesn't t soak into the meat, no longer how long it is in the solution. A brine on the other hand, soaks into the meat until equilibrium is reached between all substances in the brine, and all juices in the meat.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Also, if adding an acidic ingredient, you are making a marinade rather than a brine. The marinade doesn't t soak into the meat, no longer how long it is in the solution. A brine on the other hand, soaks into the meat until equilibrium is reached between all substances in the brine, and all juices in the meat.

However, meat left long enough in acidic marinade practically gets "cooked" it can be eaten raw after say couple of days.

Tags
None