"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

OK, I've had Cuban sandwiches in Ybor City and Aruba (really!).

I wanted to make them myself and the SO asked for them a couple of times.

This weekend I did a pork loin roast on the grill with the intent of using the leftovers for Cubans. (SO was wondering why I sliced the roast so thinly.)

Today I went out and bought some nice crusty rolls, some baked ham, swiss cheese and pickles. I don't have a sandwich press so I used my two burner grill/ griddle and a couple of bricks covered in foil.

They turned out great! The cheese was melty and the meats were warmed. The rolls had good grill marks and a nice crunch.

I made three sandwiches. Two for our first course and one for us two little pigs to share for seconds. I tried the seconds with a little mustard - didn't like it as much.

Thanks for all the good info and the push I needed to try this.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Sorry Sizzlininindianian; I didn't mean to to chastize you for your enjoyment of a (not) Cuban sandwich. ENJOY!
But a real Cuban sandwich is just fantastic. I remember in Havana (I've been there nine times).
The first time we went to lunch at an outdoor cafe and of course ordered a Cuban sandwich. The waiter said what would you like on it? I said I would just enjoy a traditional Cuba sandwich, the way any local Havanaian would order it! Well I can't tell you how great it was. And without any pickles, and tomatoes or anything else like that, including lettuce! It was with just great seasoned meats with great mustard and mayonaise and fantastic bread. (Not sourdough!) Cuban bread is like Spanish bread very crusty but on the inside nice and soft. They of course butter the outsides and press it and cut it in an extreame angle with a point (which I love) and it is just to die for.
Sorry to go on like this but a Cuba sandwich is a fantastic treat! (Where ever you can get them, even in Indiana!)

Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

I loved Cuban sandwiches when I lived in Florida. Here a local grocer makes a bread that is "close enough". Crusty but soft. The Deli at the same store sells roast pork slices. I add ham and cheese and pickles. Then ... here is the trick if you do not have a panini grill or some such fancy appliance. I take two quite heavy skillets and heat both on my stove. I lightly brush both sides of the sandwich with butter or oil. Then I put the sandwich in one skillet, then take the other skillet and press the sandwich with the hot bottom of the second skillet. Hey, it ain't Miami, but for the midwest it's pretty darned good!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

This is my favorite made to order Cuban sub

Cuban bread
Ham
Roast pork
Provolone instead of swiss cheese
Mayo
Honey mustard
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Vineger & oil
salt & pepper

Pressed, yum
Old 06-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Cuban sandwiches are very good; I love them, but I will take a panini with coppa and genoa salamis and provolone over a Cuban sandwich any day of the week.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
...panini with coppa and genoa salamis and provolone over a Cuban sandwich any day of the week.
I'll put it on the list for the next time I crank up my Brick n' Griddle 2000.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Master Chef

ironchef, I guess this is why I can't say I have a favorite in much of anything. Why make a choice between panini or Cuban? Both are great. Yeah, they're similar in cooking method. But both are wonderful. I'm the same way with books (favorite book? Why have one when there are millions? Favorite author? Ditto!), people, pets (dogs are great. Cats are great. Fish, birds ...) Why narrow life down! Go for it all!
Old 06-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I live in Tampa and really enjoy the authentic Cuban Sandwich. You need the pickles, but I don't like them with lettice and tomato AND I am a lettice and tomato person, just not on this sandwich. I love them pressed where they are nice and crunchy and the cheese is a little gooey. That with some potato chips or potato salad.....ambrosia. I also like to get the bread that you can find little pieces of palm frond in, so you know the bread is authentic.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #19
Master Chef

Well, I'm just floored. I've never had a Cuban Sandwich, but I would have bet that it was made from a spicy pulled pork of some sort. I guess it's the bread that makes it Cuban.
Live and learn.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I'm told what makes the difference is that cuban bread is made with pork fat. It's pretty easy to find in Key West, but if you live in a place that isn't predominantely cuban I would assume it's pretty easy to make, too.

Sometimes my hubby gets me breakfast from a little cuban food place: that crazy strong coffee with lots of milk and sugar, and a nice sandwich that is just pressed cuban bread, butter and cheese (not sure if american or cheddar)

... I think lightening just hit my fence. Eek!

Tags
None