CWS' Schweinebraten (Pork Roast)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
CWS' Schweinebraten (Pork Roast)

This is a rustic pork "pot roast."

4-5 lb pork roast (rind on)
1-2 T Dijon or German-style mustard
4-6 T flour
freshly ground black pepper
garlic powder
1-12 oz bottle of beer (I prefer a dark beer--doesn't really matter)
2 c apple cider
1-2 T caraway seeds
1 bay leaf
1-2 tart apples, peeled (or not) and sliced in rings
4 med. potatoes, quartered
6 carrots, sliced
1/2 lb mushrooms
1/2 c sultanes (or raisins)
1 med. onion, chunked
3-4 T bacon fat (or oil or lard)
1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 "branch" of fresh rosemary
2-3 sage leaves

Equipment:

Tuscan Oven or Roemertopf (RÖMERTOPF® des idées pour une cuisine naturelle). Soak according to directions (my Tuscan Oven needs to be soaked for 15 minutes--I'm able to do all the prep and brown the meat while that is happening)

1. Smear the roast on all sides with the mustard.
2. Roll in flour to which you have added salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pat to make sure the flour adheres to the mustard.
3. Brown the roast on all sides.
4. Place roast and all other ingredients in clay roaster. Cover.
5. Place roaster in a cold oven.
6. Set temperature to 400 (or according to directions for your roaster).
7. Check temperature of meat after 2 hours. If necessary, add more liquid (Note: I always warm the liquid in the microwave for about 90 seconds so as not to add cold liquid to a hot clay oven.)
8. Remove roaster lid for the last 15 minutes to allow the meat and veggies to brown.
9. Remove roast from pan, place on a plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes.
10. While the roast is resting, strain the juices from the pan.
11. Make a roux of 2 T butter + 2 T flour. Add the juices and stir until thickened. If you'd like, add 2 tsp Dijon or German mustard and 1 tsp cider vinegar.

Serve with gravy, veggies from the pan, and a side of sauerkraut.

Serves 4-6 (depends on how big the roast is and how much meat people eat--a family of 6 ate a 4 lb roast on Sundays when I lived in Germany).

Notes: I assume one could do this in a dutch oven or roast pan or slow cooker. If you don't like caraway, leave it out. I garnish with some Italian parsley. I used a rolled 3 lb pork roast I found while deep freezer diving. What I like about this is takes about 15 minutes to prep, and then you can more or less ignore it for 2 hours.

Attachments

• pork_roast 036.jpg
    pork_roast 036.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 294
  • pork_roast 038.jpg
    pork_roast 038.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
That sounds really good. I may try that with a Costco roast. Do you suggest a shoulder roast?

That sounds really good. I may try that with a Costco roast. Do you suggest a shoulder roast?
PF--I've used every cut--cheap cuts work. The secret is the beer and the apple cider (or apple juice or, failing that, a couple of tsp of cider vinegar and water). The roast I did on Sunday was a rolled shoulder roast that I had deboned and tied before I froze it (it was leftover from that sausage-making marathon I did last year). You could add rutabaga or turnips to the mix as well--whatever you have on hand. It is called a pork roast, but it is more like a pork pot roast, IMO.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the German Food I so much enjoyed when stationed there. Getting too old to cook like that... and healthwise... Back then didn't care too much about Cholesterol, fat, sugar, and other big words we all know today... I guess the old days are really gone .... LOL :)

Reminds me of the German Food I so much enjoyed when stationed there. Getting too old to cook like that... and healthwise... Back then didn't care too much about Cholesterol, fat, sugar, and other big words we all know today... I guess the old days are really gone .... LOL :)
I don't make it very often, but it is on the "comfort food" list. I do use home juiced apple juice instead of cider and light beer when I make it now. I've also made it with just home juiced apple juice instead of cider and beer. I also brown the meat in coconut or avocado oil nstead of lard.

nope. I looked. no pork roast in the freezer. nope no beer either.
At least I have caraway seeds.

I made your scandahoovian beef stew last summer. Still remember it. Had to buy anchovies and wine for that one. It was good.

This one looks good too. Putting it on the List

nope. I looked. no pork roast in the freezer. nope no beer either.
At least I have caraway seeds.

I made your scandahoovian beef stew last summer. Still remember it. Had to buy anchovies and wine for that one. It was good.

This one looks good too. Putting it on the List
This one is good, too. You played with the stew recipe and improved it, IMO. I need to make it with your tweaks, but I've been so busy, I haven't had time. It is on my list of things to make before the snow melts.

Back
Top Bottom