Deep Fried Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GPOE

Assistant Cook
I am a crispy bacon fanatic - nothing dissapoints me more than flacid bacon...

But when I cook myself, the grease is a mess - and when I get it crispy i generally have a difficult time doing it evenly, and certainly burn some of it. Oven, CI stovetop, griddle...it's either a mess or difficul to control the temp.

I see a local burger chain deep frying their bacon (five guys). Anyone do that? Their bacon is always crispy but never burnt. I have a deep fryer and there wouldn't be a huge mess.

Thoughts? Temp? Time?

Geoff

My SIL worked in a pub and they fried the bacon in the deep-frier. It's actually just a process and pretty easy.

Heat your oil to about 350, using tongs, carefully place the bacon in the vat and just watch it carefully. It's hard to determine time because most people have a visual preference that is all their own. The benefit is it cooks on both sides at the same time and for a pub cook it frees the grill up for just burgers. I liked it because at one point I strictly avoided all pork so I knew my burger didn't get anywhere near a pork product.

My SIL worked in a pub and they fried the bacon in the deep-frier. It's actually just a process and pretty easy.

Heat your oil to about 350, using tongs, carefully place the bacon in the vat and just watch it carefully. It's hard to determine time because most people have a visual preference that is all their own. The benefit is it cooks on both sides at the same time and for a pub cook it frees the grill up for just burgers. I liked it because at one point I strictly avoided all pork so I knew my burger didn't get anywhere near a pork product.

I'm just suprised i don't see it more often...I'll try that this weekend.

thanks!

Geoff

Totally agree with you on the crispy bacon. Love it myself. Personally, I do like 3-4 packs at a time and refrigerate the leftovers, holds for about 2 weeks and only needs about 20 secs per slice in the microwave to get it to it's crispy glory.

For no-mess bacon, the most important thing is to take your time. Use medium heat, don't crowd the pan, drain the oil after each batch, pull just short of well done and hold on a rack or brown paper. Draining the oil frequently avoids the splatter you might normally get. I don't recommend deep frying because although the bacon comes out crispy and not burnt, a lot of the oil -- and consequently volume of the bacon -- is lost to rendering.

In bacon we trust.

Deep fried bacon is awesome...Uniformly done, crispy etc. --- A real treat!!
Pan frying takes medium heat, patience, and a watchful eye so as not to burn!

Enjoy!

The only "no mess" bacon, IMO, is in the microwave. But in the microwave, you really can't get it crispy without raw spots. Which is fine for me since I don't really enjoy crispy bacon. Geoff ~ definitely try the deep fried method. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I worked for Albertson's for 11 years and part of that time was in the service deli, we always fried our bacon in the deep fryer for sampling. It was the same deep frier we fried our chicken in.

correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't the one downside (if you consider this to be a bad thing) to deepfrying bacon be the fact that the bacon will curl into itself during cooking, instead of staying in a straight strip shape?

i could see that being good for burgers (fits nicely on the burger), but not so nice if just having the bacon as a side....personally, i dont think i would mind, but others might not like that

correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't the one downside (if you consider this to be a bad thing) to deepfrying bacon be the fact that the bacon will curl into itself during cooking, instead of staying in a straight strip shape?

i could see that being good for burgers (fits nicely on the burger), but not so nice if just having the bacon as a side....personally, i dont think i would mind, but others might not like that
No, it doesn't necessarily curl if you watch it. You can also pick up those holders that keep things straight or flat. You just have to put it in slowly and it won't curl anymore than potato chips. You can also use the bottom of the basket, wood tongs, and hold it for a moment and it will stay flat. Curling isn't necessarily an issue.

I tried deep fried bacon years ago when a cook in the nursing home where i worked mentioned it. I thought it was o k but its such a job keeping an eye on the oil and all that.
the other day i thought about using the broiler in my stove for cooking bacon.

If you don't want to deep fry.. Bake your bacon..
Place on wire racks, pop into a 350 degree oven. It cooks evenly and comes out perfect!!!

I tried deep fried bacon years ago when a cook in the nursing home where i worked mentioned it.

Are those people still alive there? :rolleyes: (I shudder, at the health reasons for not having it.)
Okay just kidding. I hope I get bacon when I'm in a nursing home if I ever have to live there.
Bacon is just Awe, um, yum, something special. ~Bliss

My arteries just clogged even more reading about deep fried bacon by someone named ribs and steak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL::pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom