"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Deep Fried Bacon

I am a crispy bacon fanatic - nothing dissapoints me more than flacid bacon...

But when I cook myself, the grease is a mess - and when I get it crispy i generally have a difficult time doing it evenly, and certainly burn some of it. Oven, CI stovetop, griddle...it's either a mess or difficul to control the temp.

I see a local burger chain deep frying their bacon (five guys). Anyone do that? Their bacon is always crispy but never burnt. I have a deep fryer and there wouldn't be a huge mess.

Thoughts? Temp? Time?

Geoff

Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My SIL worked in a pub and they fried the bacon in the deep-frier. It's actually just a process and pretty easy.

Heat your oil to about 350, using tongs, carefully place the bacon in the vat and just watch it carefully. It's hard to determine time because most people have a visual preference that is all their own. The benefit is it cooks on both sides at the same time and for a pub cook it frees the grill up for just burgers. I liked it because at one point I strictly avoided all pork so I knew my burger didn't get anywhere near a pork product.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
My SIL worked in a pub and they fried the bacon in the deep-frier. It's actually just a process and pretty easy.

Heat your oil to about 350, using tongs, carefully place the bacon in the vat and just watch it carefully. It's hard to determine time because most people have a visual preference that is all their own. The benefit is it cooks on both sides at the same time and for a pub cook it frees the grill up for just burgers. I liked it because at one point I strictly avoided all pork so I knew my burger didn't get anywhere near a pork product.
I'm just suprised i don't see it more often...I'll try that this weekend.

thanks!

Geoff
Old 03-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Totally agree with you on the crispy bacon. Love it myself. Personally, I do like 3-4 packs at a time and refrigerate the leftovers, holds for about 2 weeks and only needs about 20 secs per slice in the microwave to get it to it's crispy glory.

For no-mess bacon, the most important thing is to take your time. Use medium heat, don't crowd the pan, drain the oil after each batch, pull just short of well done and hold on a rack or brown paper. Draining the oil frequently avoids the splatter you might normally get. I don't recommend deep frying because although the bacon comes out crispy and not burnt, a lot of the oil -- and consequently volume of the bacon -- is lost to rendering.

In bacon we trust.

I just wanna eat.
GuamDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Deep fried bacon is awesome...Uniformly done, crispy etc. --- A real treat!!
Pan frying takes medium heat, patience, and a watchful eye so as not to burn!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The only "no mess" bacon, IMO, is in the microwave. But in the microwave, you really can't get it crispy without raw spots. Which is fine for me since I don't really enjoy crispy bacon. Geoff ~ definitely try the deep fried method. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Master Chef

I worked for Albertson's for 11 years and part of that time was in the service deli, we always fried our bacon in the deep fryer for sampling. It was the same deep frier we fried our chicken in.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

excellent!!! I'm excited now :)
Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Senior Cook

correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't the one downside (if you consider this to be a bad thing) to deepfrying bacon be the fact that the bacon will curl into itself during cooking, instead of staying in a straight strip shape?

i could see that being good for burgers (fits nicely on the burger), but not so nice if just having the bacon as a side....personally, i dont think i would mind, but others might not like that
Old 03-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't the one downside (if you consider this to be a bad thing) to deepfrying bacon be the fact that the bacon will curl into itself during cooking, instead of staying in a straight strip shape?

i could see that being good for burgers (fits nicely on the burger), but not so nice if just having the bacon as a side....personally, i dont think i would mind, but others might not like that
No, it doesn't necessarily curl if you watch it. You can also pick up those holders that keep things straight or flat. You just have to put it in slowly and it won't curl anymore than potato chips. You can also use the bottom of the basket, wood tongs, and hold it for a moment and it will stay flat. Curling isn't necessarily an issue.

Tags
None