Deep fried pork shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just the fact that there seems to be little information about this should set off some alarms. I just don't see why anyone would be so dead set on deep frying a cut that typically is slow cooked - usually the slower the better. I always thought that deep frying was supposed to be a fast way to cook certain types of foods. I can't imagine putting a beef rib roast in a deep fryer. Nor a large rump roast.

I wouldn't think that brisket would be any good in a deep fryer, but it's normal cooking style is rather similar to a pork butt or shoulder. This just isn't something I'd ever be inclined to try.

The secret to these cuts, cooked whole is low and slow. If you want "fried" shoulder or butt, cut them up and make Carnitas. Make sure to use lard and follow a recipe from Rick Bayless.:yum:

I have deep fried turkeys, steaks, chickens, ducks, and even prime ribs. All I can say it it depends on the size. As pork should be cooked at a higher temp then beef.

I have deep fried turkeys, steaks, chickens, ducks, and even prime ribs. All I can say it it depends on the size. As pork should be cooked at a higher temp then beef.

Don't have any idea about temp, but I do agree deep frying most anything is a go.
Seems deep frying would produce a moist result and a nice crust.
This is how I heat up left over steak for lunch. I drop into my Fry Daddy for a minute and remove promptly.
My only concern would be over cooking the outside before the inside was fully done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom