Deep fried pork shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpolancot

Assistant Cook
I just deep fried a Turkey and it was awesome. Wondering about doing the same with a pork shoulder. Thinking of brining for 24 hrs and frying. The turkey was fried to perfection @ 300 deg for 3.5 mins per pound. Found on livestrong page they advice 8 mins per pound for pork leg/shoulder. It seems too much to me. Anyone has experience with this as per time/pound and/or temperature?

I am afraid I am not much help on this. I have fried a lot turkeys over the years, but have never done pork. I would guess the longer cooking time is because the turkeys cavity allows it to be cooked from the inside also. Let us know how it turns out.

I've never done that, either. I'm guessing another reason for the longer cooking time is that, in order to become tender, pork shoulder has to reach about 195°F to melt the connective tissue. Turkey would be severely overcooked at that point.

I've never done that, either. I'm guessing another reason for the longer cooking time is that, in order to become tender, pork shoulder has to reach about 195°F to melt the connective tissue. Turkey would be severely overcooked at that point.

Yes. Also, a pork shoulder is a much thicker piece of meat so heat has to penetrate a long way. I'd be concerned about the outer parts of the meat by the time the center reaches the target temperature.

Glad someone brought up the term "pork shoulder".

I got into a debate about what is a pork shoulder.
I grew up with a cut some people call a "fresh" ham or pork picnic. This is also called a "shoulder".
My friend insisted that a "Boston Butt" was also a shoulder roast. And after we checked we found that to be true.

So why is a butt roast a shoulder and a fresh ham "picnic" a shoulder? Two very different cuts, yet both are classed as the shoulder.

Attachments

• Boston Butt Shoulder roast..jpeg
    Boston Butt Shoulder roast..jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 5,452
  • Pork Roast.jpeg
    Pork Roast.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 5,333
Last edited:
See attached. They're two different parts of the shoulder primal cut.

btw, I'm going to a hog butchery class Wednesday at a local butcher's. I'm so excited! :w00t:

2000px-Pork_Cuts.jpg

Last edited:
See attached. They're two different parts of the shoulder primal cut.

btw, I'm going to a whole-hog butchery class Wednesday at a local butcher's. I'm so excited! :w00t:

2000px-Pork_Cuts.jpg

Much better than what we saw the day of the discussion. Thanks GG.
It seems the picnic should be called something else as its not the shoulder, but the leg. Or is it an extension of the shoulder.
You can see why we were at odds over the terminology.
This is what caused the debate and frankly we both were correct.

Last edited:
It includes part of the leg, but in the pig, the shoulder joint is actually in the picnic area. And the amount of leg included depends on the butcher and how they cut it.

I was confused about it for a long time, too. The two cuts do have different properties. I prefer the butt because it has fewer muscle types so it cooks more evenly.

Last edited:
I wouldn't deep fry a pork shoulder, I'd be afraid I'd ruin it. I've always cooked them low and slow. Like GG mentioned above, long cooking time works best for breaking down the connective tissue resulting in a nice tender pork roast.

After a little research and a phone call to a good friend. I learned that you do not want to fry it to 195. It should be fried to 165. It will not shred, but it is supposed to slice well and have a wonderful bark.
My friend also says to serve it with a bourbon BBQ sauce............

Thanks for all your responses. I was concerned about the 8 mins per pound @300 °F, It seems like a long time but giving the fact that 195°F temperature is needed in the inside for pork I guess is not that much. I will fry @ 300 °F for 8 mins per pound or until i get 195 °F next to the bone (witch ever comes first) and then finish it 350-375 °F for 5-7 mins.

...I will fry @ 300 °F for 8 mins per pound or until i get 195 °F next to the bone (witch ever comes first) and then finish it 350-375 °F for 5-7 mins.

Let the 8 minutes per pound be a guide and keep checking the temperature. When you hit 195ºF around the center of the shoulder, you're done. Take it out and let it rest. No need to 'finish' it.

It includes part of the leg, but in the pig, the shoulder joint is actually in the picnic area. And the amount of leg included depends on the butcher and how they cut it.

I was confused about it for a long time, too. The two cuts do have different properties. I prefer the butt because it has fewer muscle types so it cooks more evenly.

I was raised on the picnic cut as we wanted cracklings and the picnic type is what Cubans made back home in Miami.
Thanks for the detailed chart.

After a little research and a phone call to a good friend. I learned that you do not want to fry it to 195. It should be fried to 165. It will not shred, but it is supposed to slice well and have a wonderful bark.
My friend also says to serve it with a bourbon BBQ sauce............

Sounds about right to me. Why all the scare over underdone pork?
I fry pork chops to medium all the time and never would think of making a well done loin roast.

...Sounds about right to me. Why all the scare over underdone pork?
I fry pork chops to medium all the time and never would think of making a well done loin roast.

It's not a food safety issue. I has to do wth the prolonged cooking to 195ºF breaking down the collagen in the shoulder, tenderizing the meat.

Sounds about right to me. Why all the scare over underdone pork?

There's no scare. We're talking about the shoulder, not the loin. At medium, the shoulder will still be tough.

There's no scare. We're talking about the shoulder, not the loin. At medium, the shoulder will still be tough.

From what I have been told if cooked to 195 the outside is burned.... I don't know for sure though. let us know how it turns out. Now I am curious.

From what I have been told if cooked to 195 the outside is burned.... I don't know for sure though. let us know how it turns out. Now I am curious.

I agree. As I said above, deep frying probably isn't the best way to go with this cut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom