"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Slice them up and use on pizza.
Giant hot dogs
make a paella or gumbo and include them chopped up
make an unusual chilli
I like the "German Chilli" idea miniman! I just made a 10 quart pot of turkey/beef chili but this would be a good experiment.

And I have wanted to make a paella with my newly acquired saffron!

Pacanis, I will bag some to go back in the freezer. Do you want me to FedEx you some?

Thanks, again Quicksilver, I was thinking on those lines and I think DH might eat them then.

Oh, I counted them....52!!!!!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I actually only par-boiled them so all is not lost. I did this because I didn't know how long they had been frozen before we got them and didn't know how fast I could use them.

I was thinking I could grill some at this point but wondered if there was some fancy dishes people knew of.

As for the beer, I can't cook with alcohol because of my border and DH (who is German) hates saurkraut.

Thanks Quicksilver for the reply.
From what I recall from our trip to Germany, they usually grill them and serve them with mustard. You could make a nice warm German potato salad to go alongside.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Well, yo could always fry em up like italian sausage, peppers and onions and fried potatoes. Nothing fancy, but good.
Great idea. I do this with Italian sausage except I don't use the potatoes.
Cut up green and/or red bell peppers in 1 inch pieces, same with onions, then saute the brats for a couple of minutes til brown and remove.

Saute the onions and peppers for 2 or 3 minutes, then add all together and bake in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes. Cool, then package (hopefully you have FoodSaver) in individual servings or servings for 2. When you need them simpley re-heat in the oven then serve on hoagie buns. Great easy meal.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
From what I recall from our trip to Germany, they usually grill them and serve them with mustard. You could make a nice warm German potato salad to go alongside.
We have a supermarket here sells a potato and sausage salad. Brats would be an interesting twist on that.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks MM, GG and DQ. I think with all of this I can use all 52 up in some way, even if they end up back in the freezer! But I am still open to more ideas if anyone has any!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Grill some Laurie, then get some nice rolls the texture of say a kaiser roll or a french roll and warm it put in your grilled brat and fancy it up with your choice of goodies, I love grilled onions andsome lettuce and may, mustard and we serve with a salad like potato or macaroni, tortelini ...
Grill or fry serve with a nice homemade dish of mac and cheese, slice some into a soup,

kadesma
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I like the "German Chilli" idea miniman! I just made a 10 quart pot of turkey/beef chili but this would be a good experiment.

And I have wanted to make a paella with my newly acquired saffron!

Pacanis, I will bag some to go back in the freezer. Do you want me to FedEx you some?

Thanks, again Quicksilver, I was thinking on those lines and I think DH might eat them then.

Oh, I counted them....52!!!!!
No thanks.
But if you run into some extra boxes of those chocolate and maple cream cookies shaped like a maple leaf....
Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #18
Master Chef

Bratwurst is more versatile than people give it credit for. it can be sliced and put into new England Boiled Dinner, Added to baked beans, served with sour kraut, put on a bun with lightly cooked onion, bell pepper, and a bit of your favorite condiments, which can include everything from ketchup, to any variety of mustards, barbecue sauce (tomato based or honey-mustard style), or horseradish mixed with mayo or salad dressing, and of course, a good cheese. You can add bratwurst to soups, again, everything from split pea to creamy potato, to tomato/vegetable, or even bean soup.

Bratwurst can be crumbled, or sliced and added to pasta sauces, baked in savory pies, chopped and cooked with scrambled eggs, or in a fritata, or quiche. It can be ground and mixed with Miracle Whip and made into a sandwich spread.

There is the obvious grilled brats with potato salad and chips.

That should get you started thinking. Personally, I'd start with the baked beans and brats idea. But I'm prejudiced. I love baked beans and any kind of sausage.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I like to cook them this way I sauté onions and sliced green apples in butter until brown then add some sauerkraut meanwhile sauté in another pan brats until light brown add to the onion, apples and kraut add a little water cover pan and lightly simmer about ten minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes or potato salad or just some nice dark rye bread.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I like to cook them this way I sauté onions and sliced green apples in butter until brown then add some sauerkraut meanwhile sauté in another pan brats until light brown add to the onion, apples and kraut add a little water cover pan and lightly simmer about ten minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes or potato salad or just some nice dark rye bread.
That sounds just mouth watering! Thanks for the idea!

Tags
None