"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Master Chef

Down memory lane ("German Stew" recipe)

Many of you know I was raised in a little house that was attached to my parents "mom and pop" grocery store, circa 1945-1960. My nephew emailed me wanting some memories of my Dad...his Grandpa. Here's what I wrote, and it occurred to me you all may enjoy it too.
__________________________________________________ ________

As you remember, my Dad was a good cook. He would often put a pot of something good on the stove in the kitchen, and then open the window above the sink so the smell would drift into the grocery store. Pretty smart actually, as he said it made the customers hungry. One of my favorites is what he called "German Stew" and I've made it hundreds of times over the years. Do you remember it? Everyone loves it and it's super easy too.

Grandpa K's German Stew

4-5 lbs of pork shoulder (often found as "Farmer Style Ribs" these days)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large can of Sauerkraut, drained (reserve the juice) and lightly rinse the Kraut
1 large can of tomatoes (undrained), dice
2 med. size cans of small white beans, drained
3-4 cups of chicken broth
1 large russet potato, peeled and grated
1 tsp. of Caraway Seeds (optional)
Black pepper to taste

Cut up the meat and brown the meat and the onion it in a large pot. Add all the ingredients, cover and simmer about one hour, or till the meat is tender. I pass the reserved "Kraut juice" for those of us who like more "zing".
It smells and tastes WONDERFUL !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

With the heat index up in the three digit range in these parts, I will likely wait till Fall to try this, but have no doubt, I will be trying this!
Sounds delicious!!
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Master Chef

Yep, it's definitely a winter dish but I couldn't resist sharing while I was thinking of it.
I know this would really suit your style of down home cooking Hoot.......give me a hollar when you give it a try. Durn fine grub to be sure.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Love it, Kayelle. I've been going through my maternal grandma's recipe book (binder) to compile it for my 1st cousins (once removed) and their kids. I was the one that knew my grandma, and the one who ended up with the binder. And I thank DCers who have helped with deciphering some of the recipes--so far. She wasn't good about writing instructions or even for what the recipe was--still have to find the page with the recipe "Hairdresser's" and see what DCers think that might make. What a wonderful thing to pass on to your nephew.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like a great winter dish, Kayelle! Thanks, will definitely give it a try!

Tags
stew, recipe

Down memory lane ("German Stew" recipe) Many of you know I was raised in a little house that was attached to my parents "mom and pop" grocery store, circa 1945-1960. My nephew emailed me wanting some memories of my Dad...his Grandpa. Here's what I wrote, and it occurred to me you all may enjoy it too. :smile: __________________________________________________________ As you remember, my Dad was a good cook. He would often put a pot of something good on the stove in the kitchen, and then open the window above the sink so the smell would drift into the grocery store. Pretty smart actually, as he said it made the customers hungry. One of my favorites is what he called "German Stew" and I've made it hundreds of times over the years. Do you remember it? Everyone loves it and it's super easy too. Grandpa K's German Stew 4-5 lbs of pork shoulder (often found as "Farmer Style Ribs" these days) 1 large onion, chopped 1 large can of Sauerkraut, drained (reserve the juice) and lightly rinse the Kraut 1 large can of tomatoes (undrained), dice 2 med. size cans of small white beans, drained 3-4 cups of chicken broth 1 large russet potato, peeled and grated 1 tsp. of Caraway Seeds (optional) Black pepper to taste Cut up the meat and brown the meat and the onion it in a large pot. Add all the ingredients, cover and simmer about one hour, or till the meat is tender. I pass the reserved "Kraut juice" for those of us who like more "zing". It smells and tastes WONDERFUL !! 3 stars 1 reviews