Dumb question here about pancetta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nicklord1 said:
I take it you dont have to cook pancetta ?
Pancetta is a cured meat, but generally it is used with other things, such as sauces, diced fried and put into salads. Unlike procuitto and other cured meats of 6 months or so, pancetta is usually only cured 2 weeks.I find the fat in it much greasier than the other meats, so I only eat it after cooking. I don't think you would enjoy it uncooked. But in a pasta sauce or salad or even fried and put into a biscuit dough, it is lovely. No question is dumb or silly, except the unasked one!
kadesma:)

nicklord1 said:
Well i bought it to put in a sandwich how should i prepare it
I use it for BLT's with avocado all the time..Just fry it crisp in a skillet and enjoy..You can fry it and add to a grilled cheese, It's great along with thin slices of chicken, lettuce, tomato, avocado,even thin cucumber, on pumpernickle bread, add some thousand island if you like it..It's a favorite of my DH..

kadesma:)

Nick, pancetta is Italian bacon. It's salt cured like American bacon but is not smoked. It also has herbal seasonings and spices added for flavor.

So, yes, you have to cook it.

my parents made Pancetta from scratch with their friends...OMG it was DELICIOUS no cooking or anything required when eating it...it went ultra fast, slice and eat slice and eat, stuff the slicing bite directly from it and eat eat eat :D they only made it once :( :( :(

i have never cooked store bought one either, normally just eat it straight or on a sandwich.

oh man i am thinking about my parents` Pancetta...my mouth is watering...yummmmmm.. :D

Come to think of it, you can eat our bacon straight from the shop as well without cooking it.

The Pancetta looks the same. The Pancetta we definately don't cook if we have a plate of cold meats etc like prociuto (sp), pancetta, ham etc.
The only time it was cooked was when it went in a stuffed chicken for flvour.

The American bacon looks much redder that what we get. The one we get is very light pink in colour. I remeber having to cut it for my mum for cooking but eating it at the same time lol

Andy M. said:
Nick, pancetta is Italian bacon. It's salt cured like American bacon but is not smoked. It also has herbal seasonings and spices added for flavor.

So, yes, you have to cook it.
Andy, I agree that I'd cook pancetta before eating, but I learned that it's air cured, and not cured with salt.

kadesma said:
Can pancetta be eaten raw? Take a look here this might help, it's an answer to can pancetta be eaten raw! It also tells how it is cured for only 2 weeks...

kadesma

I still will pass on eating it raw.

I don't think you can campare the two weeks of pancetta curing to the 6-18 months for prosciutto. Two different animals. I love to eat prosciutto raw and sometimes cook it too.

Back
Top Bottom