Eat-the-bone slow-cooked Ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RipVan

Assistant Cook
Years ago I motored over a huge piece of the SE US and found a few roadside places that cooked (smoked) ribs outdoors on a rack over a low fire. The rack was mounted on the back of a very wide "fireplace". They basted the ribs in a thick tomato (sweet and sour type) sauce to keep the ribs moist. Cooking reportedly took one day for one batch. The result was the best ribs that I have ever eaten - by far. You could even eat most of the bone and I did although most diners did not.
The ribs were not big so I assume that they were pork.
Alas, now I dont know where to find these fantastic morsels. If I could I would be a happy feller. Or - if I knew how to make them I would start a batch today.
Anyone know how to make ribs like these? I hope so!

RipVan....It sounds like you were encountering the old road side "Pit" BBQ places that use to dot the country side here in the South. They were built out of brick or more commonly cinder block. The meat was placed on racks at a minimun of 18"-24" or more above the fire (usually wood coals) where it was allowed to cook for long periods of time, 3-4 up to 18-24 hours for a whole hog at low temperatures. If you were in the South the ribs were most assuredly pork. With some of todays modern BBQ "Pits" the same results can be achieved. The science is the same, Long cooking times, 3-4 hours or more at low temperatures in the 215*-225* range. If you will use the search feature here on DC you will find many, many recipes, ideas, and cooking methods discussed. Soon you will be preparing these fantastic morsels that will once again make you a "happy feller"

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Yep! We need a resurgance in those old Pit BBQs!

Hi Uncle Bob, You are right on the button. Sure would like a bunch of those ribs now. We read about a great BBQ place in Orange County NY years ago - went there and got stuff that had been heated under some awful tomato sauce for about 15 minutes. Not the good Southern cooking we like here.

I shall search - I have a real hankering for some ribs and if I cant buy them I'll make my own.

Ironic too because I am about 25 miles from the BBQ capital of the world - Lexington, NC. But, alas, no BBQd ribs there that I know of. :( Arrrrfffff

Rip

The Best BBQ in the world is cooked in somebody's back yard. Not in BBQ competitions, or in restaurants. Mastering the techniques, temperatures, and times, on good equipment...... It can be Your backyard.

Well, except for my backyard you understand!!:LOL:

Fun!

I gotta agree with UB on that aspect. I've been smoking meat for a few years now. I don't claim to be the best, but, the stuff I make suits me just fine. I like the taste, and the texture. Most BBQ places I've been to, I don't really care for their sauce. At least I know that the stuff I fix in my front yard will have me, my kids, and my other half salivating when I go to pull it and plate the dinner.

I gotta agree with UB on that aspect. I've been smoking meat for a few years now. I don't claim to be the best, but, the stuff I make suits me just fine. I like the taste, and the texture. Most BBQ places I've been to, I don't really care for their sauce. At least I know that the stuff I fix in my front yard will have me, my kids, and my other half salivating when I go to pull it and plate the dinner.
I'm salivating just reading about it, Allen!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom