EMERGENCY - Pork Chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I am making a recipe that calls for browning pork chops and simmering them with long grain rice in a skillet for 45 min. The recipe didn't specify regular or thick cut so I bought thick cut pork chops. Is there any timing difference for these?

I posted a reply to your question in the other thread but I'll answer here too in case you didn't see the other. It shouldn't make a diffrence in timing. I've made it with thick cut & thin cut chops. Just check the chops after the 45 minutes & if they aren't done, let it simmer for a little while longer. I hope this helps!:)

I agree with crewsk assuming you're simmer with the lid on ... since you've got rice in the dish that's why I assume that. You're just braising the chops ... and 45 minutes should be plenty long enough for a 1-inch thick cut. Since you're browning the chops first, then braising, you'll get the extra flavor from the browning and with the braising they will cook without overcooking.

Has anybody made this recipe with brown & wild rice? I think the texture would enhance the meal. Whadaya think?

Also, I want to use herbs in this, but not the usual sage or thyme, and certainly nothing hot due to my DW's over-sensitive toungue. Any ideas. And I really don't care for the flavor of oregano or basil with pork. What about something like cardamon, or maybe something a bit cantonese to add to it? This might be great with a plumb or pineapple sweet & sour sauce. It might be good with just a plain, red sweet & sour sauce as well, or with a citrus fruit.

LOL :LOL: Here I am asking questions and giving myself answers at the same time. But then again, I know what my cooking tastes like. I'm looking for something out of the ordinary, but that a picky eater might enjoy (oh the things we sacrifice for those we love, heavy sigh :( )

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOL ... what was that show that started off with the guy saying something like ... You're standing at a crossroads ... Night Gallery, Twilight Zone, something else?

Yep, Goodweed, the more you talk the more ideas you come up with! Although I usually do a quartered chicken, poached with just enough water to cover with an onion, carrot and celery with black peppercorns (selfmade chicken stock from the poaching liquid which is then used as the liquid for cooking the rice) with Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice thing ... seared and braised pork chops should work equally as well.

But, like many recipes - it's a case of standing on the culinary crossroads ... which way do you want go with what you have on hand? Should your pork chops become "Sweet and Sour" or should they be smothered in Sauerkraut ... or sweet red cabbage with appel slices, some anise, or fennel, or ...?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom