"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile English Pork Pie Recipe

Would love an authentic Mowbray Pork Pie recipe as we cannot get them here in New Zealand. My elderly neighbours are craving one of these. My English neighbour remembers the true pork pie being pink in the middle. Can anyone help please?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:50 AM   #2
Head Chef

BBC Food - Recipes - Melton Mowbray pork pie

This what get nearest Mowbray, it doesnt become pink unless the bacon is heavy salted with curing salt. I sometimes use lightly brine ham hock to get it pinker.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I watched Britain's Baking Show tonight, and they made a beautiful one.
And welcome to DC. As you can see, have a question, we have an answer. Have a problem? We have a solution. In fact we have lots of answers and solutions. Stick around. Have fun with us.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianne pierce View Post
Would love an authentic Mowbray Pork Pie recipe as we cannot get them here in New Zealand. My elderly neighbours are craving one of these. My English neighbour remembers the true pork pie being pink in the middle. Can anyone help please?
The pink is due to the use of saltpetre not to under-cooking. This is very difficult to come by nowadays as it is used in home-made explosives. The last time I tried to buy my usual 1/2 ounce in the pharmacy which has supplied me in the past I was told that it is now illegal to sell it (in UK). Oddly, you can buy it by the kilo from Amazon. Weird!

The best recipes for anything in the charcuteries or English pie-making line is Jane Grigson's "Charcutery and English Pork Cookery". I expect you'll find a copy on Amazon. Or try this

Make the perfect Melton pork pie this Christmas | Great Food Club
Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Incidentally, it won't be a Melton Mowbray pie if you make it in NZ.

The name is now protected under EU "Protected Geographical Indication" legislation. According to Wikipaedia "the name Melton Mowbray can now only be applied to uncured pork-filled pies cooked without supporting hoops and made within a 10.8 square mile (28 square kilometre) zone around the town" of the same name
Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The pink is due to the use of saltpetre not to under-cooking. This is very difficult to come by nowadays as it is used in home-made explosives. The last time I tried to buy my usual 1/2 ounce in the pharmacy which has supplied me in the past I was told that it is now illegal to sell it (in UK). Oddly, you can buy it by the kilo from Amazon. Weird!

The best recipes for anything in the charcuteries or English pie-making line is Jane Grigson's "Charcutery and English Pork Cookery". I expect you'll find a copy on Amazon. Or try this

Make the perfect Melton pork pie this Christmas | Great Food Club
People use pink curing salt these days instead of saltpeter.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Tried the recipe, it's pretty good, especially with piccalilli. Thanks for linking it man!
ArthasMenethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Incidentally, it won't be a Melton Mowbray pie if you make it in NZ.

The name is now protected under EU "Protected Geographical Indication" legislation.
But seeing that Great Britain has left the EU, I wouldn't think that would be a consideration any more.

BTW, this is also a Mowbray pork pie.

In denim!

Tags
pie, pork, recipe

English Pork Pie Recipe Would love an authentic Mowbray Pork Pie recipe as we cannot get them here in New Zealand. My elderly neighbours are craving one of these. My English neighbour remembers the true pork pie being pink in the middle. Can anyone help please? 3 stars 1 reviews