Faggots - traditional UK dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh lordy Harry, STOP! For the love of God I have snorted enough coffee this morning because of you! (Glad you're back, I missed you <3)

Oh my, I laughed so hard that the cat is looking at me funny.
ahoy shipmates now thaat ye 'ave dried thine eye's & adorned thyself of dry undergarments there be more ahh hahhh!! one episode of pugwash be titled "the quest of the golden handshake;)" & "pugwash" be an old australian slang word for a blo....oops....oral sex...ah hahh,now ye fair ladies must excuse i,whilst i cast off........:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!
missed you too alix & you tax...mwah!

This must be an example of the word being used in a nice way ,it's a comfort food . Never heard of the reference to sticks or wood tied up though ?

I think savoury ducks are different, do they use sausage meat ?
Savoury ducks is a northern name for faggots. My mother who comes from between Derby and Nottingham once told me that when she was young vegetable marrow (an overgrown zucchini) with a stuffing made with
sausagemeat or meat left over from the weekend joint was referred to as mock goose. All part of making "economy" food sound a bit more posh, I suppose.

Faggots meaning bundles of sticks for firewood was quite common at one time but now we no longer need to forage for firewood I suppose the usage has died out of everyday language

Last edited:
Savoury ducks is a northern name for faggots. My mother who comes from between Derby and Nottingham once told me that when she was young vegetable marrow (an overgrown zucchini) with a stuffing made with
sausagemeat or meat left over from the weekend joint was referred to as mock goose. All part of making "economy" food sound a bit more posh, I suppose.

Faggots meaning bundles of sticks for firewood was quite common at one time but now we no longer need to forage for firewood I suppose the usage has died out of everyday language

The bundle of sticks reference goes back, at least to 1414, the Fire and Faggot Parliament of Henry V.The bundles of sticks, faggots, were piled at the feet of a heretic that would not recant and the heretic was burned at the stake.

The term faggot also has a meaning of "strength in unity", the Italian fascists used it. It refers to the fact that one stick is easier to break than a bundle of sticks.

Interesting stuff!

If the stick and wood come from the era of Charles Dickens, I wasn't around then. I was born a couple of days too late. ;) But I have heard the word "fag" used in English movies. It has always been used in reference to a cigarette. :angel:
Yes, a "fag" is a British slang term for a cigarette - possible from the analogy with sticks?

"Faggot" in reference to a bundle of sticks pre-dates Dickens by about 400 years and was defined as a legal measurement for a bundle of sticks in the 15th century.

If you are tired out you may describe yourself as "fagged" as used by Jane Austen in several of her novels (from an old word meaning "to droop").

"Fag" and "Fagging is/was used in English public schools (such as Eton and Harrow and others) for the system whereby younger boys were required to do fetching and carrying for older boys. The boy was the "fag" and the jobs he had to do were referred to as "fagging". I don't think that, in the general run of things, there was anything, shall we say, "inappropriate" in the set-up.

Oh, and in English-English a faggot, as in the expression "Silly old faggot", was a fussy old woman.

My old English teacher was very keen on the derivation of words & was easily distracted from the intended lesson by one of us asking about a word. We may not all have got straight "A"s in English literature but we ended up with a very large vocabulary and very good at crosswords!!

Oh dear, getting off topic again.

Last edited:
I am northern MC . We call faggots faggots not savoury ducks . Obviously it varies even in the north .

Not familiar with women in particular being referred to as silly faggots .

Language always makes for an interesting discussion though !

Back
Top Bottom