Favorite Char Siu recipe/cooking technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner because I've had some pork loin marinating in the fridge since last night. Unfortunately I don't have access to a bbq so I will be doing it in the oven. I had no hoisin, so I went with honey, chinese cooking wine, brown sugar, garlic, 5 spice powder and a small sqirt of ketchup. It was a bit runny so I think I will grab some hoisin today and add it to the marinade to thicken it up and brush it on the pork when I cook it up tonight.(I may even put a dash of liquid smoke in the sauce to try and give more of a bbq flavor). I have a wire rack that I will place over a pan to catch the drippings and roast at about 375, coating and flipping every 10 minutes until done...
For those of you who make this, what is your favorite recipe and cooking procedure?

Last edited:
Your recipe looks a lot like mine. I cook the pork on a wire rack over a pan filled with hot water. Baste and turn the pork half way through the cooking time (about 20 minutes total).

Your recipe looks a lot like mine. I cook the pork on a wire rack over a pan filled with hot water. Baste and turn the pork half way through the cooking time (about 20 minutes total).
So, you don't have a very thick, saucy coating when done? I like the taste of the sauce so, I like to make it thick so a lot of it stays on the meat.

So, you don't have a very thick, saucy coating when done? I like the taste of the sauce so, I like to make it thick so a lot of it stays on the meat.

It's fairly thick but there is no browning as a result of the water. The water is certainly optional.

I have one in my files. Will search through my recipes and post it. It's an unusual recipe using readymade dough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom