"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Head Chef

Final pork loin question before big day

I'm buying a 4 lb pork loin for 6 adults. The one that is already brined and the boneless one. I'm also searing it on the stove before putting it in the oven at 375.

I want to try to time when it will be done and I'm getting conflicting results.

Most sources say 20 minutes per pound.

However, I'm finding recipe examples like this.

3lb -----hour and 20 minutes at 350

2lb -----2 hours at 350

That most certainly doesn't add up to 20 minutes per pound.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

If you spend 10-12 minutes searing the loin, it should cook in about an hour. Final doneness decision should be based on temperature with the time as a guide.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OK - I have to ask - is it the skinny pork tenderloin or a larger pork roast/loin.

The reason I'm asking is because once you sear the skinny one it's almost done - wont' take long in the oven at all. I normally just cook mine totally on the grill for maybe 20 -25 minutes while rotating on all sides. Best way stove top I have found is steaming in one of those Chinese bamboo steamers - works like a dream in about 30 minutes!

If it's the larger one I have a different school of thought on that one. Once seared (I mean really hot pan and really seared on all sides) I pop it into a 500 oven until internal temp reaches 140. Tent and let rest for 10 minutes at the very least. This leaves the inside slightly pink and juicy.

My pork roast has cooked before in as little as 25 minutes after a healthy sear.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Head Chef

hmm not sure, I'm getting it at Hannaford.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm pretty sure it's a loin if it weighs four pounds. Tenderloins run around a pound to a pound and a quarter.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a loin if it weighs four pounds. Tenderloins run around a pound to a pound and a quarter.
I'm thinking the same thing Andy....Pork Loin....Not Pork tenderloin.

So Miss Legend...Follow Miss KE Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
If it's the larger one I have a different school of thought on that one. Once seared (I mean really hot pan and really seared on all sides) I pop it into a 500 oven until internal temp reaches 140. Tent and let rest for 10 minutes at the very least. This leaves the inside slightly pink and juicy

The only way you are going to know when it reaches 140* is with a thermometer probed into the thickest part...A Clock want tell you this.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks Andy - I never really looked at the weight of the tenderloins but that does make sense.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I'm thinking the same thing Andy....Pork Loin....Not Pork tenderloin.

So Miss Legend...Follow Miss KE Method

The only way you are going to know when it reaches 140* is with a thermometer probed into the thickest part...A Clock want tell you this.

Enjoy!
I go past 140... 155 or so... Always turns out perfect..

At that point, no pink but still really nice and moist.--this is for a loin, not a tenderloin.... big difference.

I also don't sear it in a pan. I start it really hot--450 for 30 minutes then back down to 270...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you really want perfect meat, forget about timing it; you can time it when you've cooked off dozens of loins and can temp your meat by touch. Until then, if you want perfect meat, you need a thermometer,simple as that. Make sure to get a good quality digital, whether instant read or not is up to you, but for roasts like that I prefer to use my 2-piece thermometer, the probe stays in the meat throughout cooking (so you don't always have to open the door to check temps and lose heat), and is attached to a small heat resistant cable that plugs into the display unit, which usually also has a timer, and a magnet so you can stick it to your stove/oven. Set your timer/thermometer to buzz at your desired temp, then pull your meat and let it rest until serving.

Also, for pork loin, I prefer to go low heat- 210 degrees or so. Cooking at 375 makes it harder to temp/time because the less dense portion of the loin will cook faster.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you spend 10-12 minutes searing the loin, it should cook in about an hour. Final doneness decision should be based on temperature with the time as a guide.
I'm seriously thinking about cooking it at 350 instead of 375. not sure if that will make that big of a difference. With the searing, do you think an average time frame might be more like an hour and a half instead of an hour? I know it's just an estimate.

Tags
None