First Boston Butt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent, thanks vagriller for starting this thread and leading me to something completely new to cook that is simple and delicious.

:)

want a real treat?

take some of that tender butt, pan fry it until it's crispy on the edges(pseudo chicharon). . . soft tortillas, lime, cilantro, sliced avocado, salt. Life is good.

I always smoke b.butts and figured out a way to take it up another notch. After the butt is smoked, bone pulles out clean, all pulled and put in an alum foil pan, then put it back in the smoker at a low/keep it warm temp, say 200-225. Then add more of your rub and apple cider vinegar to taste. mix and let smoke for another 1/2hr 45min. Taste again, add more rub &/or ACV to taste.

This adds more flavor of the rub to ALL the meat along w/the smoke. While this is go'n on, better make some slaw to go w/it.

Just what I do anyway.

Great thread, OP!

Big Al, I am going to try that next time. Rubs, unless applied a day or so in advance really do not hold up to the smoking process.

If I am thinking, I will take the rub and make a injection from it and inject the butt thoroughly as well as rubbing it.

I tried injecting a brisket once, didn't add much too it, PIA.

I've put slivers of garlic in butts, didn't go very far in the meat, but around that it was great, but a bit strong.

I've heard of guys injecting butts w/a cajun injector. I've seen them in bass pro and cabela's, cajun butter iirc.

I think it would be worth a try, it's hard to mess up a butt.

I've heard of guys brine'n, too. I think they try it once. Brine pork chops works good.

Do it bryan! Send the results to me.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom