Five Spiced Pork Belly With Maple Whiskey Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodnelson

Assistant Cook
Sometimes you make a recipe and it turns out awesome. This recipe is one of those dishes that fits that description. The pork belly is flavorful, tender and juicy. The parsnip puree serves as a nice compliment to the five spiced pork and maple whiskey sauce and the radish sprouts help cut through the fat and bring the dish together. Without tooting my own horn to much, I would have to say that this is one of the best dishes I have ever made. I recommend that you try this recipe as soon as possible. Just make sure you make enough of the sauce because people will want to drink it!

Note;

Pork Belly can be bought at Costco, fine meat markets and oriental grocery stores.

Chinese five spice can be bought at most grocery stores as well as oriental markets.

Ingredients

For the pork belly

1 – 2 lb boneless pork belly
2 tablespoons miso
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 teaspoon chinese five spice
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (maldon salt works great)
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Place cooling rack on top of a baking tray.
Prepare the pork belly by washing and drying thoroughly. Make sure the skin is completely dry. Make slits in the fat, 1 inch apart, my pork belly already had the skin removed. If your pork belly has the skin still on it you can either remove it or leave it on. Make sure you cut all the way through the skin but be careful to not cut into the meat. Turn the pork belly over and stab the meat all over with the tip of your knife.
In a small bowl mix together the miso, maple syrup and Chinese five spice. Coat the meat side of the pork belly only. Place the pork belly skin side up on top of the rack.
Pour the sesame oil over top of the skin and rub it into all of the slits and over all of the skin or fat.. Sprinkle the top with the Maldon sea salt.
Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours.
Remove the pork belly from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes, uncovered. Slice the pork belly and serve with the maple whiskey sauce and puree of parsnip.

Maple Whiskey Sauce

3-5 tablespoons of juices from the cooked pork belly
3 tbsp butter, divided
1/2 yellow onion
1 shot Crown Royal Maple Whiskey
1 tbsp apple sauce
1 tbsp real maple syrup
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Place the skillet back on the stove top and heat the juices and another 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 mins. Add the whiskey. It will sizzle and bubble quickly. Add the apple sauce, maple syrup and dijon mustard and whisk until smooth. Reduce the sauce a little, whisking regularly. Finally, remove from the heat and whisk in the last 1 tbsp butter.

Parsnip puree
5 medium parsnips (2-2.5 pounds total), peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 stick of unsalted butter
1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Preparation

In heavy large pot combine parsnips with enough cold water to cover. Place over moderately high heat, cover, and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Drain. Working in 2 batches, pureé hot parsnips, butter, and chicken stock until smooth. Transfer to large serving dish, stir in salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Plating The Dish

In the center of the dish place 1/2 cup of the parsnip puree and spread across the plate.
Spoon some of the whiskey sauce on the the puree.
Place two pieces of pork belly on the puree.
Drizzle more Maple Whiskey sauce over the top of the pork belly.
Top the pork with some baby radish leaves.
Serve when hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom