Glaze For Ham - What's yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
Just curious what you glaze your baked with?

There are so many options out there.

We usually do a pineapple glaze but I was thinking maybe O.J. and brown sugar.

My favorite is maple syrup, but that is because I have an excess amount of syrup thanks to the maple trees (and yes, the sap is running right now). I also do maple syrup glaze on turkey (about 20-15 minutes before it is done). When my parents had a restaurant, the cook used to put a raisin glaze on the ham. I've also done maple syrup - cranberry sauce (homemade with less sugar) glaze for both ham and turkey.

Last edited:
I don't glaze ham, not fond of sweet with my ham.
I wasn't either, until a friend made a maple-glazed ham with cloves. It was so good and I'm not a big fan of ham. My favorite part is the bone for Quebec-style split pea soup! And, the pan drippings from a maple-glazed ham makes a really nice split pea soup.

I wasn't either, until a friend made a maple-glazed ham with cloves. It was so good and I'm not a big fan of ham. My favorite part is the bone for Quebec-style split pea soup! And, the pan drippings from a maple-glazed ham makes a really nice split pea soup.

I do the same thing but, I'm curious, what is "Quebec-style" split pea soup?

Yes, we can get yellow split peas here and the recipe is nearly identical to the way I make split pea soup. My recipe came from my far, far northern Minnesota/Canada relatives. One of my uncles was a lumberjack in Canada so, perhaps, that's why there's such a similarity.

I love Smithfield hams spiral cut so mix dark or light brown sugar with honey til sugar melts then add i cube of butter or not it's up to you pour over ham and cook or bake I should say for 30 min on 375 makes the ham so yummy.
Sweet is nice sometimes.
kades

At Easter we always scored the fat into diamonds, studded it with whole cloves and baked it in a slow oven. A half hour before it was done we took the ham out of the oven and decorated it with pineapple rings and maraschino cherries. This was topped with a glaze made of pineapple juice, brown sugar and prepared mustard. Then back into the oven for about 30 minutes.

The maple syrup would be wonderful!

Apple cider, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg would be good.

Apricot jam or orange marmalade would also make a nice glaze.

But, plain is best! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Cloves and maple syrup here, too. Back when I used to cook a whole ham anyway.

I decided no glaze this time. But made an orange sauce and a pineapple sauce he can pour over his ham and that seemed to work out well.

Back
Top Bottom