Gluten-free sausage gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
Hello & Merry Christmas, everyone,

It's been a Christmas tradition in our house to have a brunch, including sausage gravy after the presents are opened. My D-i-l has a problem with gluten and we want to make sausage gravy that she can eat and not suffer afterwards. Is there anything special or different we have to do to use gluten-free flour? Will it taste different? Will the texture be the same? (I don't see us making a trial batch beforehand). Thanks.

Hello & Merry Christmas, everyone,

It's been a Christmas tradition in our house to have a brunch, including sausage gravy after the presents are opened. My D-i-l has a problem with gluten and we want to make sausage gravy that she can eat and not suffer afterwards. Is there anything special or different we have to do to use gluten-free flour? Will it taste different? Will the texture be the same? (I don't see us making a trial batch beforehand). Thanks.

Make some gravy and put over toast for a quick lunch. Add whatever you have on hand. Hard boiled eggs, Some chopped ham. A good time to clean out the fridge and leave rrom for the Christmas goodies. Two birds, one stone.:chef:

We just want plain ol' sausage gravy, but it needs to be gluten-free. :)

I know what you are talking about. What are you using for a thickener? Rice flour or potato flour should do it. Look in the international aisle. the package should have a recipe on the back. :chef:

So...I guess I am really just asking if the gluten-free flour will make a difference in the texture or taste of sausage gravy? We have a box of all-purpose rice flour. Thanks for the responses.

There are directions on the cornstarch box for thicking gravy. You use only cornstarch --- no flour at all.

Last edited:
There are directions on the cornstarch box for thicking gravy. You use only cornstarch --- no flour at all.

I have found that cornstarch just doesn't hold up. The gravy breaks down and separates if left sitting. Reheating it doesn't do much for it either. For sausage gravy, when the cornstarch does breakdown, she will have three separate components. Water, cornstarch and grease from the sausage. Getting them to remarry is almost impossible because of the floating grease. :chef:

I seem to remember my grandmother using cornstarch in her gravy, but i thought she used regular flour too...I seem to remember someone teasing my grandfather because his gravy was "industrial strength" - you could almost cut it in squares and it would hold its shape.

So...I guess I am really just asking if the gluten-free flour will make a difference in the texture or taste of sausage gravy? We have a box of all-purpose rice flour. Thanks for the responses.

I often make sausage gravy. I doubt the rice flour will affect the texture or taste as it is the sausage that gives the gravy its flavor. Not the flour that you normally use. Let usknow how it turns out. :chef:

Linda, gluten free means NO WHEAT FLOUR. No flour in the gravy, no biscuits (or toast) under the gravy.

But sausage gravy made with corn starch over scrambled eggs is yummy. Only cook the gravy til it is thickened--if you boil after the gravy is thick, the cornstarch can 'break' and separate, but that is easy to avoid. I haven't used rice flour, so can't comment on that.

If done right starch gravy should not fall apart. You might just need different recipe. Cornstarch is the easiest thing to maky gravy. But is it reall gluten free? I thought it was not, not that I know about this kind of stuff, thank G-d, I do not need to know.

OH, maybe I spoke too fast about cornstarch. I don't have gluten intolerance, so I don't know much about what products have gluten and what don't.

No, you were right. Cornstarch is a gluten-free product. It is as exactly as it name implies. Made from corn, not wheat. Thank you for your input. :flowers:

I hope everyone had a very good Christmas - we experienced the unexpected death (heart attack) of a close friend which put a damper on our Christmas.

Hubby used the rice flour for the sausage gravy and it worked out fine. D-i-l was so pleased and happy that we "went to all that trouble" for her. There was a little bit left (we had the electric skillet filled to the brim - used 2 pounds of sausage) so she took it home to freeze.

Thanks to all who had suggestions. May everyone's new year be happy, healthy and prosperous.

Chia seeds or ground flax can be used as a thickening agent, both are gluten free. Or, you can use quinoa flour (or, wild rice flour for that matter).

Back
Top Bottom