Gonna try something today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wag

Assistant Cook
We cooked a big whole salt-cured Virginia ham :pig:, without company, and thus we have most of it still around waiting for ideas. Sure, you can use it for a variety of dishes, and we have already... russet potato wedges (with onions, cheddar and salsa), and mainstay red beans.

So now I have a few pounds of "country" pork ribs (not actually ribs, but from the back loin area, with some hip bone, but that's what they call them [marketing!]), soaked overnight in a buttermilk brine. I want to come up with a way to incorporate some of the virginia ham into the dish :unsure:.

It's morning, that's where I am. Will follow up.

Biscuits. Lots of biscuits!:rolleyes: How about a hash. Oh. your from MD. If you make crab soup, through some in and back off the salt.

Last edited:
Result

23333_10151630642926040_2066182421_n.jpg

I'd give it a B-. The spuds, kraut and cured ham worked perfectly together. Ham provided all the salt necessary. Pork "ribs", in need o another day of brining and more salt, were on the dry side. But the pork lite (fresh) and pork stout (cured) combined nicely.

As for over execution, a slight fail. I started at 450 (10am) for a while for browning, then dropped to 210 for slow cooking. Upon testing (mid afternoon), I upped to 350 for a while, then back to 210. Served at 6:00. Pork needed a few more hours, the yukons were done might have done better a bit longer.

Forgot to mention a very necessary splashing of white vinegar need the end. As said, the VA ham provided all the salt necessary. MSG (especially for pork!) is always optional.

As for spuds and biscuits, your reminder prompted a stop at the local grocery store. Who's gotta a good VA ham gravy formula? I like mine red/white.

Tasted pretty good. We finished leftovers for lunch with some leftover bean soup mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom