Greek pork chop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Ok so i was watching the history channel and they were tlaking about pork.

they showed a dish that some chef made that looked really good. im not sure of the cut of meat the used except it was pork and it looked like a chop with a rib bone on it. They browned it in oil with some sort of greek seasonings and then put a nice lookin gravy over it. so i want to try this out. How do i make greek seasoning to put on a nice chop and then a goos gravy that will compliment the meat?

thanx guys

The classic Greek seasoning combination is lemon, oregano and garlic. You could marinate the chops in these, with some olive oil, and sear on both sides, then cover and cook till done. Then make a simple pan sauce with the fond and drippings. HTH.

The classic Greek seasoning combination is lemon, oregano and garlic. You could marinate the chops in these, with some olive oil, and sear on both sides, then cover and cook till done. Then make a simple pan sauce with the fond and drippings. HTH.
ok that sounds dang good cept i do not know how to make a simple pan sauce yet.

Or you can marinate your chop in olive oil, chopped onions, chopped garlic, parsely and oregano, then fry or roast in a little more olive oil. You can also add white wine and or butter while cooking. Very yummy!

Rosemary may be added to the marinade also but, it's not my favorite thing to do.

ok that sounds dang good cept i do not know how to make a simple pan sauce yet.

A pan sauce basically just uses the stuff in the pan that was left over from the cooking process for flavoring. For instance, after I cook a steak in a pan, there are some juices and seasoning left, I'll remove the steak and pour in about 3/4 to 1 cup of red wine and let it simmer and reduce. Meanwhile, scrape the bits (called fond) off the bottom of the pan. When the sauce thickens to a light syrup consistancy add in a tablespoon of butter, stir and pour over the steak.

Use any type of liquid you want. For chicken or pork you could use white wine, chicken stock, orange juice, etc. Even combinations of those.:chef:

A pan sauce basically just uses the stuff in the pan that was left over from the cooking process for flavoring. For instance, after I cook a steak in a pan, there are some juices and seasoning left, I'll remove the steak and pour in about 3/4 to 1 cup of red wine and let it simmer and reduce. Meanwhile, scrape the bits (called fond) off the bottom of the pan. When the sauce thickens to a light syrup consistancy add in a tablespoon of butter, stir and pour over the steak.

Use any type of liquid you want. For chicken or pork you could use white wine, chicken stock, orange juice, etc. Even combinations of those.:chef:
This is exactly what I do at least once a week. It's really, really easy (hey, even I can do it), cleans up the pan as you do it, and tastes divine. You can use any red wine for a steak (I like a merlot) but here's a hint, don't try to sub a wine cooler kind of thing like Arbor Mist. I discovered I didn't have a bottle of red but there was a bottle of Arbor Mist someone had brought so I tried it. It made a really sweet sauce that tasted horrible on the steak.:sick:

Thanks for the info about a sauce for chicken or pork, Jeekins. I have wondered about that. Orange juice sauce for pork sounds fantastic!

Or you can marinate your chop in olive oil, chopped onions, chopped garlic, parsely and oregano, then fry or roast in a little more olive oil. You can also add white wine and or butter while cooking. Very yummy!

Rosemary may be added to the marinade also but, it's not my favorite thing to do.

Is there something else i could use rather than white wine that would taste just as good. Not a a big fan of wine and cant really buy it either. Also can i use dried parsley and oragno

Thanx in advance

Last edited:
on that recipe instead of the 1/2 cup white wine could i use apple juice or will that make it to sweet.

TIA

It will probably be sweet, but I like apple flavor with pork, so I think I'd like it. If you're not such a fan of sweet with meat, you could use chicken stock or water instead.

I would just leave the wine out and sub chicken broth rather than introduce sweetness to the mix unless you specifically want sweetness. Not sure that would be true to the Greek flavors you want for your dish.

I would just leave the wine out and sub chicken broth rather than introduce sweetness to the mix unless you specifically want sweetness. Not sure that would be true to the Greek flavors you want for your dish.

Oh, yeah - I forgot we were going for Greek flavor :ermm:

oh man. ok i guess i will have to try both. Ill serve this with asparagus and wild rice and a salad with feta cheese. mmm sounds good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom