"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gretchen's Carolina pulled pork

At the request of Buckytom in another thread I would like to share this VERY tried and true recipe for real pork BBQ. You can either do it all in the oven or you can do it part in a smoker and finish in the oven. THE most important thing is that the temp must never go above 275* at the most--250* is the best.

Carolina Pulled pork

I posted it a long time ago. It is truly easy and delicious.

1 pork shoulder or butt, bone in or out--any size--the cooking time is the same for a 3#or 8# piece.
BBQ rub of your choice (I will post mine if you want) or just rub the meat with a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar. Let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Method 1--IF you have a smoker that can control the temp (I have a sidebox smoker and can keep the temp at 200*-250*) smoke the meat for 4 hours, keeping the temp low. Then place the meat in a 250* oven for 4 hours to finish. It will be meltingly tender and have a wonderful smoky flavor.

Method 2 (and this is the one I have really used for 30 years). Place the meat in a 225-250* oven for 8 hours uncovered . I have often done them overnight. It will still have the melting tenderness. You will have to slap your hands to have any left over as you take it out of the oven.

When ready to serve pull chunks of meat off and then "pull" the meat into shreds by pulling between 2 forks. Do not discard the fat--mix it in. This is not a low fat dish and to really enjoy, use it!!! The pork can also be chopped.

For a traditional Carolina serving method very lightly moisten the pulled meat with sweetened vinegar (1 qt. vinegar + 1/4C sugar and 2TBS coarse black pepper). It should be so little that you don't even know it has been added.

To warm before serving put the vinegared meat in a pan (black iron frying pan is good or Le Creuset) and cover tightly. Heat at 250* until heated.

To serve, offer bbq sauces, cole slaw (in the Carolinas, it goes ON the sandwich), baked beans, rolls, and banana pudding. For fall bbq's Brunswick Stew is also offered.

For BBQ sauce here is my tomato based (western NC style):
1 bottle ketchup (28 or 32 oz.)
1 ketchup bottle of cider vinegar
6 oz. yellow mustard
6 oz. worcestershire sauce
1/2C brown sugar
3 oz. liquid smoke
2-3 TBS coarse black pepper
Tabasco to your taste

Simmer for 45 minutes.

If you use commercial bbq sauce I suggest diluting them 1/2 with vinegar for this use.

Eastern NC uses vinegar sauces--sweetened vinegar with 1/4C (at least!!) cayenne pepper OR black pepper. It is too hot for me!

South Carolina uses a mustard based sauce but don't know the recipe. The one in T&T from Big Daddy is a good approximation of Maurice's of Columbia, SC.

Note that for traditional pulled pork BBQ, it is served without sauce. Sauce is added at the table, if any is wanted.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

GMTA Gretchen! I started doing pulled pork BBQ last summer, and your Method #1 is exactly how I do it! My family goes nuts for the stuff, but that's probably because they've never experienced the real thing until I started making it.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

yay!!!! you are the famous gretchen. i've heard of many people, far and wide that have made it and now swear by your recipe. i am going to try this soon. thank you very much for posting it here.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks Bucky! What BBQ Rub did you use?

Gretchen.....I'd sure like your recipe for the BBQ Rub also. The recipe sounds awesome.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Gretchen, Gretchen, Gretchen....
That sounds so good, thanks for sharing. I am pleased to find your methods and sauces very similar to my own, so I can heartily endorse them to any and all.
Please, pray tell, what part of the country are you from, or more importantly, from where did this recipe hail?

I consider myself comfortable around a pit or a smoker; having been born and raised in Memphis, detoured to Florida for a while then Texas for a good spell. Thus I have seen BBQ from the two most important places... but at least in Tennessee and the Carolinas, Georgia etc, they start with the right animal...

Now... please expand if you will on the Maurice's sauce, and also if you have a clone of Carolina Treet, that would be devine. Then if you have a good white sauce, like for BBQ chicken- my day would be complete.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Hopz, see if this thread has the white sauce you were looking for:

White BBQ Sauce From Alabama
Old 08-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Maurice's BBQ sauce, typical to SC, is a thinned down mustard sauce. I stopped through there on my way back from my daughter's (in GA) not so long ago. Just a best guess, and it's not rocket science, yellow mustard, possibly cider vinegar and perhaps some brown sugar to cut the 'twang' out of the vinegar a tad.

The sauce is much thinner than regular yellow mustard and much thicker than Eastern Carolina BBQ sauce. (Which, as I'm sure you true Q fans know is the absolute perfect way to eat the stuff. LOL.)

Honestly, to each their own. I'm a West Coast (beef-eatin') transplant, but I live on pork.

Ciao,
Old 08-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Gretchen - the pulled pork sounds sooooooo good. I think it'll be perfect with this:

From "Smoke & Spice" - this is amazing!

Golden Mustard Barbecue Sauce

1 c. white vinegar
1/2 - 3/4 c. yellow mustard
1/2 medium onion minced
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 Tbs paprika ( we used smoked)
6 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

MIx the ingredients in a saucepan with 1/3c water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the onions are tender and the mixture thickens. Use the sauce warm or chilled, will hold for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

We also added (non traditional, I'm sure) 2 or 3 ounces of Maker's Mark bourbon.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Then place the meat in a 250* oven for 4 hours to finish.
I never thought of doing this! What a great way to not have to babysit the coals since a lot of the flavor is already in there!

Gretchen, do you wrap in foil or just place in a low-sided pan?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Gretchen, I'm going to try your recipe for the sweetened vinegar and BBQ sauce next time I do a butt.

Tags
None