Grilled Jamaican Spiced Pork Chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
You can also use tenderloin or baby back ribs for this. I prefer to buy whole pork loins and cut them into rounds myself, that way I can get the thickness just right. Remember if you buy those really thin pork chops that the supermarkets carry, your margin of error goes down by about 50% and that's when your chops get all dried out and tough. I prefer about 2" thick for my pork chops under normal grilling conditions.

Grilled Jamaican Spiced Pork Chops

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

8 ea., 2" thick Pork Loin Chops
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper

For the marinade:
6 oz. light, Lager style beer (Red Stripe if you have it)
3 oz. Dark Rum
2 oz. Molasses
2 oz. Soy Sauce
2 oz. Lime Juice
2 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. Gigner, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp. Allspice
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cayenne powder
2 tsp. Fresh Thyme, chopped
2 tsp. Fresh Marjoram, chopped
2 Bay Leaves

Method:

Place the pork in an airtight plastic bag or marinating dish. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and whisk together. Pour over the pork and let marinate overnight.

Prepare grill to medium heat. Remove the pork from the marinade and let it sit at room temp. for about 15-20 minutes. Season both sides with kosher salt and fresh pepper, and grill until cooked through but still slightly pink in the very center, or the internal temp. reaches 150 degrees F. Remove the pork from the grill and let it rest for a couple of minutes before serving.

I think most people would have 80% of the ingredients already in their pantry so it's not a recipe that you have to really buy a lot of things for. This is my version of a Jamaican jerk marinade. When I researched this recipe awhile back, I hadn't seen any other recipes for it that incorporated beer or rum. Another thing one can do if they want more heat is to substitute a fresh chile like scotch bonnets for the cayenne pepper.

Back
Top Bottom