Ham - Need help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Ok, need some help here, I really never worry about the size of ham I buy, as long as I have enough. This year we are ordering a Honry Baked Ham (5.99 lb.) ! Yikes, sons idea, curious on what size I should order. There will be 5 adults and two children. Two adults are big eaters and would like a little leftover. Clueless this year !

I belive the sell whole hams, half hams an quarter hams. I'd go for a small half ham. That way, you get some nice bone for soups and for bean dishes nas well as plenty of left-overs.

I think you are supposed to calculate a half pound for each adult and a quarter for each child. Don't forget to add in what you want for leftovers!

work on about 200g per person, maybe 100g for the kids (depending on age).
allow for varients (the 2 big eaters) and you`ll get roughly 1.5Kg.
then figure what you wish to be left over (to feed how many etc...?) and add that too.

That`s how I would do it :)

IIRC, using Old weight, that`s just under 3Kg (closer to 2.5).
Minus the bone (it`s more dense than the meat), you Should be left with, just over 500g, and that`s roughly 1 pound in your money :)

YT2095 said:
IIRC, using Old weight, that`s just under 3Kg (closer to 2.5).
Minus the bone (it`s more dense than the meat), you Should be left with, just over 500g, and that`s roughly 1 pound in your money :)

Are you saying the bone wil weigh like a lb?

Miss Barb...

I don't think of a 6 lb ham as being very big. I don't think you will have any trouble geeting your money's worth out of it..Left overs can be sandwichs etc. etc. Not to mention maybe the best part of all the bone!!:ermm: I really don't like to consider red beans and rice with out one. :rolleyes:

Go for it and..

Enjoy

Hey UB, should I go to 8 lbs? lol, Iam only paying half !!

Just called my son, told him to order 8, if that is not enough - oh well ! Thanks all again who replied !

Last edited:
Barb L. said:
Hey UB, should I go to 8 lbs? lol, Iam only paying half !!

Just called my son, told him to order 8, if that is not enough - oh well ! Thanks all again who replied !

I knew it!! I really did!! You are one smart lady..:rolleyes:

Fill up on taters so ya have plenty ham left over!:LOL:

Let us know how you and your guests like the Honey Baked Ham. If you are uncertain about how large a ham to order, it might help to ask the people who sell the hams. Tell them how many people you are serving and that you want leftovers. They should know exactly what size ham you should purchase. Enjoy and Happy Easter!

Back
Top Bottom