Ham steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ranchwifeg

Cook
We butchered a pig last week and instead of having the hams smoked (we have a ham still remaining from the last pig), I had the guys cut the hams into steaks. The meat is totally a different texture from that of the loin, ribs, and shoulders. Do I need to do anything different when cooking the hams? I like to bake pork chops - will I be able to bake the ham steaks? Should they be fried? Do I need to brine them? Thanks!

We love smoked ham.

I like to pan fry a smoked ham steak then remove it from the pan and fry/saute bitter greens (I like turnip greens but collards, mustard or kale are also good) in the pan drippings with some butter and spices added.

Pan fried smoked ham steak, turnip greens (frozen with turnip pieces) fried in ham drippings, butter & spices, baby Red & Yukon potatoes (boiled, drained then smashed and tossed with butter & parsley), steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrots.

img_1077854_0_e2f4c307587bf425e697068d1b481aef.jpg

Or fry it and add to split pea soup

Split Pea Soup (sautéed chopped smoked ham steak and onions, chopped carrots, chopped potatoes, split peas, water, salt, ground peppercorns and liquid hickory smoke).

img_1077854_1_2d03f0084665fc467d347664ebfb9c5b.jpg

You could use the ham steaks to make braises such as a pork pot roast. You could probably pan fry them in an onion gravy.

If they are ottoo thick, maybe 3/4" thick try grilling or broiler them. I use a barbeque sauce on them afther I flip them. A mustard based sauce really work on them. Good Lusk

Pork steaks may be from another part of the animal. Fresh ham steaks are just slices of the hog's rear leg.

I never see pork steaks around here that aren't sliced up Boston butt. I would love to try other parts of the pig in steak form, like a fresh ham steak. I know those steaks are out there, just not around here :(

We love smoked ham.

I like to pan fry a smoked ham steak then remove it from the pan and fry/saute bitter greens (I like turnip greens but collards, mustard or kale are also good) in the pan drippings with some butter and spices added.

Pan fried smoked ham steak, turnip greens (frozen with turnip pieces) fried in ham drippings, butter & spices, baby Red & Yukon potatoes (boiled, drained then smashed and tossed with butter & parsley), steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrots.

img_1078152_0_e2f4c307587bf425e697068d1b481aef.jpg

Or fry it and add to split pea soup

Split Pea Soup (sautéed chopped smoked ham steak and onions, chopped carrots, chopped potatoes, split peas, water, salt, ground peppercorns and liquid hickory smoke).

img_1078152_1_2d03f0084665fc467d347664ebfb9c5b.jpg

msmofet, i'm beginning to think your photography skills are right up there with your well known culinary feats. i don't think i've ever seen a dappled cauliflower/dark greens saute duo such as this, so masterfully displayed, both complementing and challenging one perfectly turned ham steak. deliciously eye-appealing, msm....:yum::yum:

msmofet, i'm beginning to think your photography skills are right up there with your well known culinary feats. i don't think i've ever seen a dappled cauliflower/dark greens saute duo such as this, so masterfully displayed, both complementing and challenging one perfectly turned ham steak. deliciously eye-appealing, msm....:yum::yum:
Thank you so much for the kind words V.

I would treat them like a country rib, except a little less cooking time as they are probably more tender and are only 1/2 inch thick. Try braising in a mirapoix with added wine, pepper, chicken stock, italian seasoning, bay, garlic, and a tomato paste. A half hour from finishing, add onions, carrots, and potatoes. It is one of my favorite meals.

That is tonight's dinner.

Fresh ham and fresh picnics are from the opposite ends of the critter. However, they should cook about the same assuming similar thickness.

Fresh ham and fresh picnics are from the opposite ends of the critter. However, they should cook about the same assuming similar thickness.

You're right. My answer should have been clearer. Fresh hams yield ham steaks.

Fresh picnics are the front leg of the hog below the Boston butt (pork shoulder)

msmofet, i'm beginning to think your photography skills are right up there with your well known culinary feats. i don't think i've ever seen a dappled cauliflower/dark greens saute duo such as this, so masterfully displayed, both complementing and challenging one perfectly turned ham steak. deliciously eye-appealing, msm....:yum:

I know what you mean, vitauta! I had to put a dribble cup under the front of my monitor!:ohmy: When msmofet posts her photos, I slobber all over the screen while trying to lick the taste off.:pig::pig::pig::wacko::ohmy:

Just looking at her recipes will cause weight gain!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom